Copper in my plant fertilizer! Help please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Copper in my plant fertilizer! Help please!

Hello,

I have a 125 g. planted tank and I was wondering what kinda plant fertilizer should I use to nourish my plants that does not contain copper. I'm using Kent's Iron & Potassium and Seachem's Flourish plant supplement at the moment. Right now I'm using less then half or the recommended dose twice a week cause I'm afraid the copper will kill my shrimp. But I also donít want my plants to suffer from nutrient deficiency. The shrimp bug bit me hard!!! I never intended to dedicate my 125 g. tank to shrimp, I started off by getting 18 amanos and 20 ghost shrimps to help me combat algae in my tank cause the oto's and siamensis were having a hard time keeping the algae on check. In only 2 weeks the amanos cleaned house of all visible algae except the algae that grows on the plexi tank, but the otos keep that algae down to a minimum. I know that ghost shrimps are not much for keeping algae on check but I found that the ghosts are not shy at all and they help my amanos lose their shyness in only 3 days and getting them to the point that now my amanos will take food right out of my fishes mouths

Before I added my amanos I removed 16 tiger barbs, 8 clown loaches and 8 gold barbs, in order to make the tank safe for the amanos. I became so addicted to shrimps that I started hunting down different types of shrimps in my area. Now I have 26 amanos, 20 tiger shrimps, 20 bumblebees, 20 red cherry shrimps and 6 crystal reds. As for the ghost shrimps.. Well they have been dieing off slowly for some reason. The only fish I have left in the tank are 13 rummynoses, 8 Cardinal tetras, 5 siamensis, 2 kuli loaches and maybe 10-12 otos.

Wow sorry for the long ramble but any suggestions on the best fertilizer that does not contain copper for my plants would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Algae Grower

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I could be wrong, but I didn't think the trace amounts of copper found in most ferts would do anything to inverts. " Had-a-snail" contains 1.61% copper, and I still have problems killing pond snails with it. Flourish comprehensive plant supplement has 0.00005% copper. I can't imagine that being very harmful to inverts.

"Good judgment is the result of experience, experience is the result of bad judgment." --Mark Twain

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the advise
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
Sea-Chem Flourish.... copper is listed on the ingredients, although minute.

--cich

Plants are gone, but my 33gal and I are back after a long hiatus.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 01:58 AM
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Copper in Flourish is not a problem. As Jake mentioned the concentrations are too low. I used Flourish in a tank with shrimp over a year before I changed things around and omitted the shrimp from the equation.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 05:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
so far I have had 0 shrimp casualties with even heavier flourish dosing, but I do worry still as well.

--cich

Plants are gone, but my 33gal and I are back after a long hiatus.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I've been using Tropica Master Grow lately, which has even more copper in it, and still no snail or shrimp problems. Of the people which use plantex ( which contains yet MORE copper), I have spoken to, it doesn't harm their snails or shrimp either.

"Good judgment is the result of experience, experience is the result of bad judgment." --Mark Twain
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Planted Member

I use Seachem Flourish and 1 ml per 10 gallons 2x per week on my 75 gallon tank and my shrimp are fine.

Ken

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode