PH Very low - any potential problem? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
PH Very low - any potential problem?

My Setup: running 4 months
55 gallon corner
automated co2, with PH controller. Ph set to X (get back to that in a moment). Calibrated to 7.0
lighting: 2 x65w compacts
Dosing: 40-60 g recommendations by rex grigg
water hardness: GH-6.5, KH-3
drop checker: blue (c02 high)
nitrites and nitrates at 0.
temp: 74
eheim 2026
AM1000 reactor

Plants:
java fern, swords, wysteria, a slew of decently growing unidentified plants (got shipped to me by mistake).

Fish:
some lemon tetras, green barbs, rasboras, 1 goldfish, 2 cory's and 3 oto cats.

Before I started dosing I had a lot of algea. Started dosing, got some ottos, and that problem is gone. Thanks!

So my ph before dosing was about 6.8. Since dosing 5.8-6.0 Since the CO2 is controlled by the ph controller and is set on 6.8 , it never goes on. According to Co2, ph chart, my co2 is off the chart (drop checker confirms its high). Fish are lively, plants are ok. So I'm not sure if everything is ok or not...everything is alive and healthy. Just doesn't compute.

1) do I need to do anything?
2) how is the c02 so high, if the c02 isn't on?
3) should I cut back on any of the dosing (KNO3 , KH2PO4 , K2SO4, CSM+B, Iron).

Last edited by crollner; 02-18-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If your drop checker is blue, you have too little CO2, not too much. Yellow is too much. Don't worry about the pH, it isn't an important parameter in a planted tank. You can't drive it too low with CO2.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Hoppy, but if my kh is 3 and ph is 5.8, the co2 chart says it's over 90ppm, which seems very high.

In order to raise the ph, using a ph controller, I would have to set the ph on the controller to less than 5.8. it only goes to 5.5. Is that recommended?

I do have fish, I don't want to kill them or else the wife will get upset and there goes my hobby

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crollner View Post
Thanks Hoppy, but if my kh is 3 and ph is 5.8, the co2 chart says it's over 90ppm, which seems very high.

In order to raise the ph, using a ph controller, I would have to set the ph on the controller to less than 5.8. it only goes to 5.5. Is that recommended?

I do have fish, I don't want to kill them or else the wife will get upset and there goes my hobby
I thought you were going to say the ph was around 3-4 when I saw the title.

Ph/Kh chart sucks don't use it. Ph swings due to co2 don't bother fish. I don't really think Ph monitors are needed either just a drop checker and good needle valve.

I wouldn't worry about the fish uness they show stress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

so do I just keep lowering ph (via ph controller, adding co2) till drop checker turns green? I understand from your experiences what you are saying, but it seems like something is off in my tank to give me such crazy readings.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower

How old is the fluid in the drop checker? Should be good for quite a while but you never know and may want to consider changing it out. Do you use a standard 4dKH solution in the drop checker? Some people use tank water in their checkers and you likely won't get good results without some sort of 4dKH standard.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I used distilled water in the drop checker. I will change it out today to make sure. I'll see if it gets to green. I set the ph controller to 6.0 today, saw co2 pumping in, fish looked ok. I will monitor and see how it goes over the next week. thanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crollner View Post
I used distilled water in the drop checker. I will change it out today to make sure. I'll see if it gets to green. I set the ph controller to 6.0 today, saw co2 pumping in, fish looked ok. I will monitor and see how it goes over the next week. thanks.
Distilled water won't give you results that you can use. You NEED 4DKH solution for the drop checker to work correctly.

You said your ph was 5.8-6 after dosing. What were you dosing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

(KNO3 , KH2PO4 , K2SO4, CSM+B, Iron) for a 40-60g tank using rex grigg's chart.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode