Trimming? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trimming?

I want to trim these large plants that are on each end of my tank but I'm not sure how or if I even can.
I can't remember what they are either so I'm hoping pictures will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423411993280.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	427057  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423412018350.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	427065  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423412033075.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	427073  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great plant All you need to do is pinch off old leaves for new growth. If you want to have more of them uproot, separate and and plant. Most times I cut the length I am going to plant slit gets busy low .... I found this for you ....The Hygrophila, Temple Narrow Leaf with its thick stems and broad bright green leaves that can reach a length of 5" underwater, the Hygrophila corymbosa plant makes a unique addition to a freshwater planted aquarium. This plant is amphibious, and if grown out of the water, the leaves become round and very dark in color. The Hygrophila 'Kompakt' takes its name from the compact growing form. The 'Kompakt' will remain shorter but will continue to spread make a nice bunch foreground display.
The Hygrophila, Temple Narrow Leaf plant will grow to a maximum size of 24", and should be pruned regularly to keep it from shading its neighbors. It makes an ideal background plant that will help in hiding the aquarium's equipment. This plant will not begin to branch until the top has been cut. The Hygrophila 'Kompakt' will not grow as tall as the Temple narrow leaf but will continue to spread for a nice cover. Provide a moderate amount of light, of at least 2 to 3 watts per gallon, using full spectrum (5000-7000K) bulbs.

Reproduction within this species is by cuttings. Simply cut the plant at the height that you desire, but leave room for growth, then strip the leaves off of about an inch of the stem, and plant into the gravel. In time, roots will form at the last node and will aid in keeping the plant in place. The Hygrophila plant benefits from regular additions of CO2, iron rich fertilizers, and trace elements.

Regards,
Aquaticz

Regards,
Aquaticz
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow,thanks aquaticz.
So I just clip off the biggest leaves?
They have large side shoots growing at the bottom also.
I can cut them off and replant them if I wanted?
These things grow like crazy and Im not running any c02.
I am dosing with excel,potassium and about a month ago started using osmocote plus root tabs and iron root tabs.

I also have this narrow leaf chain sword with What I believe to be the runners growing on it.
Am I supposed to be putting these runners in the substrate or do they eventually find there own way?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-09-2015 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hygrophilia is a great plant. Strip off any damaged leaves asap so the plant doesn't waste resources trying to repair them. Hygrophilia is a serious potassium hog, too, so keep an eye on the leaves and if you ever start seeing pinholes, up your potassium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode