How much tanin is too much? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much tanin is too much?

I have this really large piece of wood (mopani) ,too large to fit in any container to boil or to fully soak.
If I were to soak it partially for a couple of days ,and then drop it in the tank ,I imagine the water would quickly turn brown.Not a big problem for me ,aesthetic wise ,not a problem about light penetration either ,as the tank is only 10 inch high.
I usually perform a weekly water change in the tank ,could the ph drop too low in 6-7 days because of the tea?

I also read that tanins are somewhat benefic to the fish ,but ,can they cause problems if the water is too"brown"?

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...

Last edited by sleepswithdafishez; 02-07-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: mopani
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Planted Member

Get purigen. I rinsed my mopani and threw it in, water was tinged yellow for a month, but cleaning and replacing the purigen often took care of it. now it's crystal clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

I have a piece of wood that is about 16" long. The only thing I could find big enough to boil it would have cost at least $40. I have no clue what made me think of it, but the words 'thrift' and 'store' entered my mind. The first one I went to, I spent $5 and got a stainless steel 18" oval roasting pan with lid. It was old and used, but the wood fit in it. Even though I don't think they are intended for the stove top, I had it sitting on both a front and back burners and was able to boil away to my hearts content.

And it was a good thing it only cost $5 because I seriously doubt the ring of sludge that formed in it is ever going to come off it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The tank is about 30 inches long ,the wood is like 22-25 inch long. At its widest points ,it would touch the front and back glass - tank is only 8 inches wide ,a weird-shape custom made tank ,to place on a narrow fireplace.
Anyway ,here is a pic.....the wood looks great and I don't want to give it up ,no matter the color of the water....

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ranger View Post
Get purigen. I rinsed my mopani and threw it in, water was tinged yellow for a month, but cleaning and replacing the purigen often took care of it. now it's crystal clear.
Won't that take up all the nutrients from the water?I only have Crypts and some Najas Guadelupensis ,enriched substrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08102.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	426473  

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
nothing wrong with a ton a tanins in the water, some dw will leech tanins in the water forever. look up blackwater fish tanks, some people actually like the look and as you have stated its actually beneficial for most fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your Driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepswithdafishez View Post
I have this really large piece of wood (mopani) ,too large to fit in any container to boil or to fully soak.
If I were to soak it partially for a couple of days ,and then drop it in the tank ,I imagine the water would quickly turn brown.Not a big problem for me ,aesthetic wise ,not a problem about light penetration either ,as the tank is only 10 inch high.
I usually perform a weekly water change in the tank ,could the ph drop too low in 6-7 days because of the tea?

I also read that tanins are somewhat benefic to the fish ,but ,can they cause problems if the water is too"brown"?
Hello sleep...

Boiling will weaken the wood fibers and it's doubtful there's anything on it to harm the tank inhabitants. The tannic acid leached into the water is minimal and may drop the pH marginally. Nothing that most aquarium fish can't handle. Keep up on the water changes, that's the best way to remove the tannins. Tanks are healthiest if you can work up to changing out half the water weekly. I change out more than that, to keep most of the dissolved wastes out of the water, but not many water keepers are interested in this routine.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
nothing wrong with a ton a tanins in the water, some dw will leech tanins in the water forever. look up blackwater fish tanks, some people actually like the look and as you have stated its actually beneficial for most fish.
Wow!! Some of them are really dark....

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello sleep...

Boiling will weaken the wood fibers and it's doubtful there's anything on it to harm the tank inhabitants. The tannic acid leached into the water is minimal and may drop the pH marginally. Nothing that most aquarium fish can't handle. Keep up on the water changes, that's the best way to remove the tannins. Tanks are healthiest if you can work up to changing out half the water weekly. I change out more than that, to keep most of the dissolved wastes out of the water, but not many water keepers are interested in this routine.

B
My tap water is hard ,normally the PH stays within 7.5- 7.8.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your Tap Water

Hello again sleep...

The pH is fine. Most, if not all fish you get at the store will easily adapt to most public water supplies. A steady pH between 6 and even 8.5 is fine for most fish.

Don't fret over the chemistry end of things. Things like this are unimportant. Unless your plan is to keep and breed rare fish, all you need to do is treat the tap water to remove the chlorine and chloramine the public water people put into the water to make it safe to drink. Seachem's "Safe" is likely the best product available.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello again sleep...

The pH is fine. Most, if not all fish you get at the store will easily adapt to most public water supplies. A steady pH between 6 and even 8.5 is fine for most fish.

Don't fret over the chemistry end of things. Things like this are unimportant. Unless your plan is to keep and breed rare fish, all you need to do is treat the tap water to remove the chlorine and chloramine the public water people put into the water to make it safe to drink. Seachem's "Safe" is likely the best product available.

B
No rare fish for me ,I only keep Peacock Gudgeons ,Otos ,and some Amano shrimp.Thank you all for the tips!!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love peacock gudgeons, and tannins. I've put 3 different pieces of Mopani wood in three different tanks. All of them leached tannins for maybe a month. I always do weekly 50% water changes and all the tannins are now gone. The marginal drop in ph from the wood is different from, say, a quick change from your source water. That's a cool piece of wood!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode