diy co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
diy co2?

I have a diy co2 which is made with 2 1/2 cups of sugar 1 1/2 teaspoon of yeast and 1 teaspoon of baking soda and it looks like I might be making too much co2 for my fish and Im using it on a 10 gallon and I would like to lower the co2 rate for a 10 gallon. does anyone know how much I should add to fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Why do you think it's too much
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Algae Grower

I add a simple air line valve and open/close it as pressure changes as the mix ages.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Switch to citric acid and baking soda.
My recipe calls for 2.5 cups of water in the acid bottle. However For every cup of water I add to that amount the flow rate is reduced. The additional water diltutes the acid and slows the reaction.

For now im going to assume you use a diffuser. Move the diffuser closer to the water line so less bubbles gets dissolved.
If that doesnt do it, try more surface agitation. EIther by lowering your water line (if you use an HOB) or adding an airstone. Surface agitation helps the exchange of gases so should help diffuse more co2 out of the tank.

Like the other guy said, how do you know its too much co2?

Also, I hope your using 1 liter bottle or less. 2 liters is probably too much for a 10 gallon
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
You shouldn't add anything; you should cut down. For a 10-gal try starting with about 1c sugar and 1/2 tsp yeast.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 02:02 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonFox View Post
I add a simple air line valve and open/close it as pressure changes as the mix ages.
My only suggestion here would be to run the line from the yeast generator to a double gang vale. One line to the tank and the other to a check valve leading no where. Adjust them both so you get the bubble rate you want w/out causing back pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish jihad View Post
Switch to citric acid and baking soda...
Also, I hope your using 1 liter bottle or less. 2 liters is probably too much for a 10 gallon
I think kid planter is talking about a yeast fermentation not the reaction between acid and backing soda. 2 liters should provide about 15ppm of CO2 for a 10gal. tank. The problem is with the amount of yeast you are using, the fermentation will not last for very long before you need to replace it. Less yeast = longer fermentation. You can add 15ppm of CO2, 24/7 to a planted tank with great success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
You shouldn't add anything; you should cut down. For a 10-gal try starting with about 1c sugar and 1/2 tsp yeast.
+1. If you are interested in reading about some similar problems, they are being discussed here, at TPT. It should answer most of your questions.https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=810874&page=4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roll Your Own.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
As others have mentioned, you could add an airstone, set on a timer to run at night, up until maybe an hour before lights come on. This would off-gas a lot of co2, and also help oxygenate the water to a certain degree. Tug^ has a nice idea for regulating this also.

Alternatively, you could reduce your yeast from 1/2 tsp down to 1/4 or 1/8. That should decrease the rate of production. Sugar has more to do with how long the solution lasts, so adjusting the amount of sugar wont have much effect on how many bubbles per second it produces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
I'd like to know this as well.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 01:17 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I'd like to know this as well.
I think this is mainly because 1.5 teaspoons of yeast were used. Most people start off with 1/4 to no more than 1/2 a teaspoon.

1.5 teaspoons represents at least a 3 fold increase in initial CO2 production which can seem like quite a bit.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 01:28 AM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
No. I was wrong. Kidplanter was talking about the reaction between acid and backing soda or at least he was at one point. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=#post7344970

Roll Your Own.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:24 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I think this is mainly because 1.5 teaspoons of yeast were used. Most people start off with 1/4 to no more than 1/2 a teaspoon.

1.5 teaspoons represents at least a 3 fold increase in initial CO2 production which can seem like quite a bit.
Oh wow, I missed the "1" lol. I read it as only 1/2.

Kidplanter ignore what I said earlier and try using 1/2 tsp of yeast. I dont think that will be too much, but you can cut it down further if it is.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

I use 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 tsp of yeast to about a x-large Dunkin Donuts coffee cup sized vessel. I get ~2 weeks of steady output. After that I pour it through a coffee filter and drink it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode