Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help!

Hello,
I have a planted aquarium with the following water parameters:
pH 7.3
KH 70 ppm
GH 90 ppm

I had to drive a few hours to the nearest fish store where I purchased 2 albino Cories, 6 cardinal tetras, and six rasboras. These are all pretty low pH fish, around 7.0 in the wild.

Once home I tested the water that the fish came in:

pH 8.3
KH and GH over 600 ppm (I quit adding test drops because I didn't want to waste my test solution.)

I knew that I would have to acclimate the fish but I never expected anything near that high. Right now I have the fish in a tupperware container in their own water with a small heater. I'll need to figure out how to aerate the water. Ammonia will fast become a problem.

The buffering capacity is so high in that water that even if I add my water to it I don't think that it will change it.

Any suggestions will be welcome. I hope I don't have to return them because the drive is hours long.

Thanks,
MS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
i would just use the drip method and let the water become a 4/1 or more to ensure that the lvls drop maybe?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply,
I believe that the water they came in is so heavily buffered that it will hold those values and resist change. I suppose you are right though. I suppose I could take a small sample and see how much water I would have to add to it to break it down. It will be a lot. Sheesh. I don't know how those fish could even live in that water.
MS.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Just put the fish in a large bucket and drip acclimate until the water is mostly your tank water....it really isnt such a huge deal. Great to see you care about your fish though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I gave up on trying to determine their GH and KH but I tested their water's TDS.

My RO water TDS runs from 7-9. My tap water has a TDS less than 150, and a pH a little over 8.

Now check this out, their water has a TDS of 1,450! That's insane! I don't know what to think of that. I used to live in that city and the tap water was nowhere near that.
MS
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 12:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is crazy! I agree with the suggestion above, a very slow steady drip will improve things. I would just set a very slow drip and put them in a large container as mentioned. To make it easy on myself I bought a 2 gallon distilled water container from the store (the kind that has an adjustable pull spout). I use that set at a very slow drip to acclimatize shrimp, it works great. I cut a hole on top to add minerals to distilled for my shrimp tank, but you could empty the container, fill it with your treated water and then use it whenever you need to drip acclimatize. I hope they all do well during the transition for you.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Just put the fish in a large bucket and drip acclimate until the water is mostly your tank water....it really isnt such a huge deal. Great to see you care about your fish though!
Thanks lamiskool,
I set up a drip system to drip pure RO water at the rate of one drop per second.

I'm going to put the fish in a 5 gallon pail with their current somewhat less than 1/2 gallon of water and let it dilute until it gets to where my planted tank is at. Then move them into it. Hopefully I won't be up all night!

MS.

Bump: Ditto to you guys, treyLcham & HSA1255. Thanks for posting. I'll post again to this thread and let you know the outcome. Hopefully the change in water parameters won't overcome the little guys.
MS.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In case anyone's checking, I did a drip equalization. It took about five gallons of RO water to dilute less a half gallon of their original water to get me to a GH of 89.5 and a KH of 53.7, to match my aquarium water parameters.

The pH came down from 8.3 to 7.35, where my tank is at 7.02. That's the best I could do if I wanted to match the KH of my tank. I was told that matching KH is more important than matching pH when it comes down to it, so that's what I did. The temperature is at 78 F now, where I averaged the recommendation for all three of the fish species I purchased.

Once I put the fish into the tank the Cory's took off and went right to town scouring everything in site! The Rasboras are looking good. The Cardinal Tetras look a bit dazed but are all level and I believe that they will come out of it ok (I hope). Quite a drastic change for all of them! The transition to match my water parameters took three and a half hours to accomplish. I tried not to rush it. Lights are out in the tank and going out for me too. Almost 3am now! What a day. Thanks again for your help folks!

PS, I phoned the fish store and they said that they have no idea what their KH and GH are, that they only check their pH. They said that they are going to look into it. To me that's crazy that you are in the business of selling fish but don't even know what your water parameters are. They only sell fish too, opposed to a general pet store. It's a nice store too. Go figure. :-)

Peace-out,
MS.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Awesome! I'm glad you were able to make the best of your situation! Would love to see some pictures of them XD
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post
Awesome! I'm glad you were able to make the best of your situation! Would love to see some pictures of them XD

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is good to watch and try to take care. But then there is also some value in what you are seeing at the shop. Assuming these folks are in business for some time and indicate that they plan to stay in business as well as make money? Sometimes that is not true but lets assume it is in this case.
that leaves us with a successful business so they obviously do not kill most of the stock that they receive. Since they pay no attention at all to the water specs, and they don't kill enough fish to worry them, does it follow that the water specs are not all that important to them?
If the shop who apparently has water totally off the charts doesn't worry the question, do we need to worry as much as we do?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
It is good to watch and try to take care. But then there is also some value in what you are seeing at the shop. Assuming these folks are in business for some time and indicate that they plan to stay in business as well as make money? Sometimes that is not true but lets assume it is in this case.
that leaves us with a successful business so they obviously do not kill most of the stock that they receive. Since they pay no attention at all to the water specs, and they don't kill enough fish to worry them, does it follow that the water specs are not all that important to them?
If the shop who apparently has water totally off the charts doesn't worry the question, do we need to worry as much as we do?

Hello PlantedRich,
I understand what you are saying, but I guess I just suffer from the curse of being a perfectionist. That doesn't mean I'm perfect, far from it!.

For me I cannot understand doing something where one is dedicated to succeeding, such as a business, but not having a firm grasp on the details of what they are undertaking.

Do we need to worry? I wouldn't use the word worry, (that doesn't accomplish anything), but I understand what you mean. I believe that there is a direct correlation between having a good understanding of what you wish to undertake, and the success you have with it. If you look at the extreme, say a guy wants some fish, so he buys a tank, throws some tap water in it, and dumps a bunch of fish into it. V.S. the guy who learns about prepping the water, cycling his tank, doing regular water changes, not over feeding, etc etc. Fish can survive, or they can thrive in a healthy environment. To me that is a big difference. That goal is why we are here and not glued to our TV. :-)

Below is a picture I took this morning. Apologies for the quality, super old phone is my only camera right now. You can see the cardinals on the left behind the Cryptocoryne parva, they were out and about earlier but retreated after their meal, the two albino Cories are the white blurs passing by in the middle, they stick together like glue and are very active, and the Rasboras are in the center directly above the black sand. The rocks on the right are petrified wood with a Anubias Barteri coffeefolia stuck between them. The orange thing in the middle is actually a pretty cool looking piece of driftwood, although you wouldn't know it from the poor photo. It's arched in the middle forming kind of a cave underneath it. The tank setup is new, it's a 10 gallon glass and was dirted and planted two days ago, so it's still a bit cloudy. My first planted tank!!! Woo-Hoo!

Thanks to all you guys!

MS.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A better picture before I added the fish, taken seven hours after I finished planting.

Plants from left to right:
Bacopa Carolina
Cryptocoryne parva
Myriophyllum Pinnatum (Foxtail Green)
Java Fern
Echinodorus "PinWheel Sword"
Vallisneria Spiralis
Echinodorus Parviflorus Sword
Ancharis narrow Leaf
Anubias coffeefolia
and Wisteria in the back right.

I dirted the tank on 1/5/2015. I used Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting soil, (which they don't make any longer). I mineralized that soil and then mixed it 50/50 with Safety-Sorb, but not before adding 75oz of Laterite to it. I washed the heck out of it and it paid off in that I didn't see much cloudiness after filling the tank. I capped that soil with about an inch of Black-Diamond blasting sand.

I have a small HOB filter with a bio pad in there for circulation and bio-filtration.

I have a Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm heater (those are awesome heaters).

and my lighting is from two fixtures crammed together each containing one 15watt Power-Glow fluorescent lamp.

Last edited by Mega Shrimp; 02-07-2015 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added info
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here it is, my not yet patented Drip Acclimation System!

MS.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice drip system! If it works, it's as good as gold.

Worry maybe is not the right word. there doesn't seem to be a real answer to my question, either. Some do lots of effort to get it just right and the next guy just does the drop and plop and I can never get the facts on which is more successful. Sometimes they live in spite of it all and other times they die the same.
Oh, well! Guess I shouldn't worry about it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode