Angelfish proof plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angelfish proof plants

I've got a pair of Angels in my 80 gal long tank that have recently started nibbling on the new growth of my Wisteria and Hygro Corymbosa. These plants used to grow like crazy, but the angels have eaten or picked at all the new growth lately and only the some of the oldest leaves are left. I also have a ton of corkscrew vals, two large Amazon swords, and a bunch of red crypts in there, but they seem to target just the softest new growth on the other plants. They leave the tougher plants alone. This makes me think Anubis or something along that would be more than fine, yet I want something a bit more stem plant, yet still tough enough to keep the angels from stunting its growth.

Do you guys have any recommendations for replacement plants that you'd suggest I look in to. I want something that gets fairly tall and preferably bright in color. My tank is Organic Potting Soil based covered in black sand with a painted black back glass and the Wisteria and Hygro really pop on it. The tank doesn't have CO2 (I dose Excel twice a week) and I use a 13wattx6 domed CFL diy canopy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Hmmm weird, I keep amazon swords and crypts in my angel tank because they are hardy and my angels do not bother them at all….maybe feed them more? idk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They don't bother the swords or crypts. I feed twice a day and they and the other fish in the tank are quite well taken care of. They just seem to have taken a liking to the new growth on the others. They even pick at them with food in the tank.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

I had a pair of angels that would eat my wisteria. Now I have a larger tank and more angels in it and they haven't bothered them yet. But it's only been a week.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
They have a taste for certain plant species. They love most rotalas too. I have a HUGE clump of rotundiflora in the back of a heavily planted 180G, and over the course of a year or so, most of the back side is nibbled away. What's grown closest to the waterline is left alone. So location is a consideration as well with adults. Other than that clump of rotala stems, I've stuck to swords, crypts, and anubias. Recently I added a japanese spatterdock and they've left that alone. On the low side, they haven't touched the pygmy chain swords. They also leave H. Corymbosa alone for the most part but will nibble the tips of angustifolia until square.

I keep potted plants in all my breeding and rearing tanks and they are all limited to crypts or swords.

Somewhat related: really small (sub-dime) angels will decimate any duckweed infestation, and fast. They nibble off the plant root completely.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I had some Angels destroy some Cabomba, but leave other things alone. Perhaps the Cabomba was so much to their liking that it kept them busy enough.
I do not think the other plants were stems, though. I do remember a large Java Fern, and a pretty good sized Anubias.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Java fern is supposed to taste bad to most fish.
Is this true ?
I have a good amount of java fern on dw in my tank with angles and they don't touch it.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Any pics of the damage?

What other fish do you have in the tank?

Zapins
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No pics. I've witnessed them doing it as they aren't shy about it. The new growth is picked on, from outside in. They leave the middle of any leaf that gets big enough to have a middle. Others in the tank are scissortail rasboras, a school of peppered corys, and a handful of Otos.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Are they young angels? I've heard that immature ones need some vegetable matter in their diet. Maybe try giving them spirulina.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They aren't young. Bodies are as big around as a soda can I'd bet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode