moldy driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
moldy driftwood

So i put in this new piece of driftwood in my aquarium. I boiled it before to leech out that good ol yellow stuff. A few days later its covered in this peach fuzz stuff. It looks like mold its fuzzy and clear you can see it in the pic does anyone know what this is should i be concerned?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150205_231440.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	425905  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 04:26 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
This kind of mould/fuzz is typically seen with new pieces of driftwood. It's a bit aesthetically displeasing to look at, but is harmless.

You can remove it manually (toothbrush, siphon, etc) or just wait for it to disappear on its own.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
This kind of mould/fuzz is typically seen with new pieces of driftwood. It's a bit aesthetically displeasing to look at, but is harmless.

You can remove it manually (toothbrush, siphon, etc) or just wait for it to disappear on its own.

Ok i was a bit worried. so it just falls off? Or my fish eat it?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
It looks like bacteria breaking the bark down? Should harm anything just leave it or use an electric tooth brush and scrub it off if you don't want it on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
My golden cae ate the white stuff that grew on my wood when I first put it in. I'm not saying to go out and get one as they can be trouble down the line, but he loved it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgado4604 View Post
Ok i was a bit worried. so it just falls off? Or my fish eat it?
It just naturally disappears/decomposes on its own, in my experience.

If you have livestock, some fish and shrimp tend to pick at it and eat it too.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think of it as something like an underwater fairy ring. When conditions are just exactly right it will come and stay until the conditions change just a tiny bit. Maybe some kind of element on the wood which is used up so the "stuff" goes away?
I often see it and it is reported lots on forums but I've never heard of any harm and some things do eat it.
The real truth is that we don't really know a lot about what is right under our nose.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Definately dont wanna brush it since i tied all my moss to it lol so i guess ill wait and see it vanish on its own hopefully my ottos and rcs will help a bit. So wierd how weve all seen this stuff but noone knows exactly what it is or is composed of lol well anyways thank you all for your replies
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
what I do id during water changes I put the hose really close to the "mold" and the hose sucks it up. after a few weeks it disappears

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yeah, I've never seen a firm determination of exactly what it is, but the consensus (and my own experience with the same issue) is that it's not something to worry about and it will fully disappear on it's own. Just be patient and it'll clear up.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode