Newly dirted tank - dirt layer over sand cap - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Newly dirted tank - dirt layer over sand cap

Hey all. Having a question about my newly dirted tank. Dirted with MGOC potting mix and a cap of all-purpose sand. I planted it two nights ago, and now I've got this layer of soil particles over almost all my sand cap.

You can see to the left of the anacharis it's pretty much sand with just a touch of dirt... but on the right side, dirt dirt dirt! What did I do wrong?

Thanks, Tra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The dirt particles in the water column must have settled. If you explain exactly how you set it up we should be able to point you to exactly where you went wrong.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
I should have realized more details were needed, sorry.

29g with a 30gal hang-on-back filter. One inch of Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix, which I put in dry and then added water until it was fairly moistened. One inch cap of all-purpose gravel which had been thoroughly rinsed. I did attempt to make some hills with PVC under the soil in the corners, but these have sort of eroded. My scape is flagstone rocks which I cleaned and soaked and tested for affect on water parameters. I let the tank sit for 3 or 4 days with just water and then planted mostly stem plants, semi-heavy. The photo in my original post is from day #2 after planting.

When I did plant, I know I kicked up a lot of soil into the water column, as my water was almost tea brown, but that cleared up fairly quickly. Now I am just left with about 20% of my sand showing and the other 80% is covered with that fine layer of dirt/soil. I did attempt to vacuum up the dirt, to no avail.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode