CO2 purchasing help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 purchasing help

I have been into aquariums for a long time, so normal stuff is by no means new to me. Nor are aquarium plants, or so I thought. I have begun researching CO2 and am just completely overwhelmed by the information, conflicting reviews out there. I will be setting up CO2 on a 75 gallon tank and have no clue where to turn to get what I need. I am currently trying to find a local store to purchase and/or fill my CO2 tank. I would prefer to do most of my purchasing on Amazon however, as I will be using an Amazon credit card and just paying it back when my taxes come back. I have gotten several recommendation to go with greanleaf products, and several recommendations NOT to go with their products. I can pretty much say that about any brand out there right now. As they do not sell on Amazon it looks as if I am leaning toward NOT. Here is where I need help. I am linking a couple items I am considering purchasing and need to know what you all think. I have found threads about some of these but a lot of the reviews are older ones.

This is the solenoid I am considering going with.

http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-Regulator-Integrated-Solenoid-Hydroponics/dp/B008TRUI62/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1422999269&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=co2+solenoid
and this tank

http://www.amazon.com/10lb-Aluminum-Cylinder-CGA320-Valve/dp/B00852CTYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422999427&sr=8-1&keywords=co2+tank+10lb
What else am I going to need besides these two? If anyone has any recommendations of alternate products as well, please let me know. I really have no clue what I am doing despite over a month of reading. I learn mainly by doing.

I have been told I also need at least a diffuser and check valve as well. If anyone can point me to the right products, and as I said, on Amazon if possible, please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would personally go with either the U.P. Aqua brands or the Tunze if you are buying only from amazon. I have had Aquatek before and it worked ok but for the same money you will be happier with the brands mentioned above. I just really do not like the needle valve on the Aquatek Regulators; they feel cheep.

Best,
Nate

Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebuchholz View Post
I would personally go with either the U.P. Aqua brands or the Tunze if you are buying only from amazon. I have had Aquatek before and it worked ok but for the same money you will be happier with the brands mentioned above. I just really do not like the needle valve on the Aquatek Regulators; they feel cheep.
That one does not come with a bubble counter, any recommendations?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
You can run bubble counters inline with the tubing you choose to use. There are many different varieties, I use this one; from amazon actually.

Best,
Nate

Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi, I have been trying to decide on jumping in as well for my 80 gallon, but it is so intimidating (end of tank dumps, poisoning fish, etc. etc. horror stories). I just found this post on this site which explains all you need or may want and why in very clear detail and some recommended brands.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107312

I am intrigued with the idea of using a soda stream adaptor on this site. http://www.co2art.co.uk/blogs/video-...apter-tutorial

Not sure what is all on Amazon though, but keep us posted so I can decide if I am brave enough to try!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
The extra flow meter thing on the deluxe model is only good for hydroponic systems. The 'premium' is all you need. Ive been using one on my 75 for a few months now, happy with it so far.

One thing of note, the bubble counter that comes with it is a plastic piece of crap. Go ahead and buy a better one. I got this one - http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-Brass-Bubble-Counter-Integrated/dp/B009WTMQ3Y

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would stay away from aquatek. Search the forums and you will find alot of people having trouble and not getting any support from aquatek
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 03:36 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I would stay away from aquatek. Search the forums and you will find alot of people having trouble and not getting any support from aquatek
I came to that same conclusion and instead went looking for a used system.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 04:08 AM
Algae Grower

What is the downside to using GreenLeafAquarium's brand? The immediate downside I see is the price, but if the quality is top notch it would be worth the investment in my humble opinion. I'm in the same boat, I have been holding off on putting together a 125g (6' length) tank. Got the tank, lights, filter, and substrate, but ive been holding off until I settle in on the right CO2 system. Im certainly not repping for Greenleaf, ive just liked what ive seen so far and 6 year warranty is appealing. Im looking for a unit to last a lifetime.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadKnight88Mc View Post
What is the downside to using GreenLeafAquarium's brand? The immediate downside I see is the price, but if the quality is top notch it would be worth the investment in my humble opinion. I'm in the same boat, I have been holding off on putting together a 125g (6' length) tank. Got the tank, lights, filter, and substrate, but ive been holding off until I settle in on the right CO2 system. Im certainly not repping for Greenleaf, ive just liked what ive seen so far and 6 year warranty is appealing. Im looking for a unit to last a lifetime.

Read the reviews of Greenleaf and frankly I am NOT impressed. They either have amazing reviews or TERRIBLE, there is absolutely NO in between. Then again, every brand I look into is like that. Its almost to the point of driving me away from live plants. Look at this thread I started people for and against the brands mentioned. Its really confusing to the newbie out there.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Many people end up building a custom reg or buying a pre-built custom reg from a member here for that reason. A good double stage, CO2 regulator is going to be very expensive new (both the Concoa and Swagelok regs I use were $500+ new for *just* the regulator...no post reg components included). For me it came down to either getting the parts I wanted up front in a custom build, or buying a pre-built system and upgrading the pieces as I needed. My SS Concoa system ended up costing less than $400 with top notch parts.

There are a million threads on the merit of going with a DS reg over single stage, and many other threads about good vs. not so good needle valves. I would advise looking at all the pieces included on any reg.

The Pro SS model from GLA looks nice - I'd be curious to see who makes the regulator.

|
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fish View Post

I am intrigued with the idea of using a soda stream adaptor on this site. http://www.co2art.co.uk/blogs/video-...apter-tutorial
Unless you are getting those soda stream bottles for next to free don't even bother. There is a reason people are using adapters to use regular CO2 tanks on their sodastreams, the price of each tank has insane markup.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
For less than the price of that 10-lb tank you should be able to go to a welding supply or brewing supply place and buy one already full. Then when it runs out you swap it out for a new one for about $20.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
For less than the price of that 10-lb tank you should be able to go to a welding supply or brewing supply place and buy one already full. Then when it runs out you swap it out for a new one for about $20.
+1
I almost purchases a tank because I wanted a nice aluminium one but soon learned that it is very hard to find a place to fill a tank. I could only find places that did swaps.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwulf133 View Post
What else am I going to need besides these two? If anyone has any recommendations of alternate products as well, please let me know. I really have no clue what I am doing despite over a month of reading. I learn mainly by doing.

I have been told I also need at least a diffuser and check valve as well. If anyone can point me to the right products, and as I said, on Amazon if possible, please help.
Yep, you need a check valve and some method of getting the CO2 into the water.

Are you already running a canister filter? If so, you might want to go with an in-line DIY reactor - Effectively just a larger section of pipe that slows down the velocity of the water and gives the CO2 time to dissolve into the water. Searches for 'Rex Grigg Reactor' or 'Cerges Reactor' should give you lots of information. They basically work the same as the http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Medic-External-Reactor-Aquariums/dp/B001EUAKAK/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1423157926&sr=8-20&keywords=CO2+reactor, but only cost $20-$30 to make with parts from the hardware store. It will probably be difficult to get even distribution of CO2 with a simple diffuser in a 75 gal tank. If you don't use an external reactor, you probably at least will have to think about one of the methods that distribute the CO2 with a powerhead, similar to the http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-Fish-Pharm-ARER51034/dp/B00176A38A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1423158124&sr=8-7&keywords=CO2+reactor, although there are dozens of DIY ways to build this type as well - effectively, figure out a way to get a CO2 diffuser to dump most of its bubbles into the input of a powerhead...

I'm speaking mostly out of the research I've done, no first hand experience yet. I'm just setting up my own system this weekend and we'll see how it goes after it's been up for a bit. I went with a GLA Pro1 reg and DIY reactor on a 5 LB aluminum tank (there is a welding shop 20 minutes from my house that fills tanks). Being a bit of a nerd, I went whole hog with the monitoring and have an Apex system setup to monitor the tank. At this point I am planning on leaving the CO2 on a timer and trying to adjust the needle valve to hit desired CO2 so that the diffusion rate is a little slower in case I do have a solenoid failure. The Apex will turn it off on a schedule synced with the lights or if pH gets too low. Also thinking about hooking up an airstone to kick on if the pH gets too low.

-Justin

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode