Get a water test kit, try frequent water changes and ich meds would be my suggestions also.
I already got an ich med call Rid-All which has proven effective in the past. Here are links to it:
I am up with the frequent water changes, making sure to vac the floor. I gave the fish a dip in Rid-All but I dont think thats the way to treat ich. The whole tank needs to be treated. I am afraid of adding the med to the tank for fear of permanently damaging the substrate so that I will never be able to use it again for growing plants. I guess that can possibly happen depending on the chemicals that are there in the medicine isnt it? Am i right? Will such meds also kill off the beneficial bacteria?
Theres a lot of natural sand in the substrate and I wont be able to get it again, its just not available in shops any more.
Then keep us updated on this:
This caught my attention because I've had nonaquatic livestock fail to thrive because of faulty electrical equipment. It would seem that a wee bit of stray amperage couldn't hurt the fish. It would zap you if you reach into the water, because you would be grounded. But swimming fish aren't grounded so can't be zapped. . .can they?
I had the same thoughts when I was discussing this with an electrical engineer and I think you are right. A person standing on ground gives direct passage to current so that person would get an electrical shock. However fish are "floating in water" and cannot give a passage to the current to reach ground, they wont/cant get a shock. Seems angel fish are completely immune to this as well as rams and swordtails. Rainbow fish are very sensitive to it.
How did you notice this anyway? And is the whole house problem severe or mild? I doubt this is the main problem with your tank, but it intrigues me.
Last week I got a slight nick/very small cut in my finger while I was cutting my nails
Later I dipped my hand into the tank while the heater was on and got a mild shock. Thats how I found out something was wrong and then I unplugged the various aquarium devices one by one to find out the culprit. I also used a line tester to check the current later. You know the screwdriver that comes with an LED, the LED lit. The overall "bigger house problem" does not even really exist. I only noticed it because of the tank. Otherwise we wouldnt have cared.
Last night I mounted the heater vertically such that the part of it where the wire goes into it and the connecting plastic is above water. Then there is no shock and things are fine. The part of it that holds the heating coil which can be seen through its transparent glass is submerged. ~95% of it is submerged. Previously the whole heater used to be submerged. But thats how I have used it for so long and seen people use it in their tanks...