Flake Food Longevity - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Flake Food Longevity

I have 2 questions:

So I have always heard that flake food looses it's nutritional content fairly quick. I have seen examples about not wanting to eat pizza 6 months old so why would we want to feed fish food that is 6 months old? Never made sense to me since flake food is dehydrated.

1) Are there any studies showing that dehydrated foods (fish flakes) do loose their nutritional value after a certain amount of time?
2) Can flake foods be frozen without any harm? I would imagine if condensation gets in the bag there could be a problem with moisture.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Trapperwolves

75 Gallon--Rainbow Fish Tank/Amano Shrimp
29 Gallon--Celestial Pearl Danios/Yellow Shrimp
20 Gallon--Ember Tetras/Orange Shrimp
10 Gallon--Chili Rasboras/Cherry Red Shrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish Food Shelf Life

Hello trap...

Just keep the lid on the food and it will last indefinitely.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's what I figured.
As long as you put the tops back on the containers and zip lock the bags I would think the flakes would be OK for a very long time.

Trapperwolves

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

Not exactly like 6 month old pizza. Those were dried flakes to start with. They last a long time. I buy it a pound at a time and transfer into smaller containers, keeping the original bag tightly sealed. No complaints from the fish!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'll disagree. My understanding is that heat and moisture cause fish food to deteriorate over time. The fish food manufacturers I've spoken with recommend keeping it in a cool place in an airtight container. A refrigerator is good, if the storage container is airtight.

A freezer is also good, again if the container is airtight, unless the food has probiotics in it, as more and more do these days, in which case the freezing apparently kills the beneficial microbes.

The manufacturers I've spoken with or heard speak recommend using the food within six months.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
A local club guy (who knows way more about this hobby than anyone I know) sells flake food and recommends that it be stored in the freezer once opened. Something about the fats degrading over a few months. I find this believable but ignore it since I lack a freezer in my office.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My fish never seem to die or get malnourished as I get close to the end of the bottle. I suppose after many years it could be an issue, but under normal conditions, I don't think it's a problem. L.A. has a drier climate that some areas, perhaps if you live in a swamp in Florida with no AC, the moisture could be issue, but for most people, I think not.

The pizza comparison is invalid: You're comparing fresh-baked food intended for immediate consumption to dehydrated food. It's closer to beef jerky or dried fruit (or freeze-dried fruit). The whole point to the process is to preserve it for the long haul.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think sunlight would be a bad thing also?
I buy dry bulk food.Some comes in bags so I store them in a bucket with lid.
Everything degrades with age(ask me how I know?).
I know of no study at this point(still looking),
But thought I would add this link on how to know if food is any good anyways.
I noticed OP asking about high protein in another thread for shrimp,
But this is fish food I believe.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...0Forum&txt=NLS
Under "articles" start with fish food ingredients,and look for your food in the 1-6 star rating system.
actually a very informative article on food many of us use.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
It's also known to photodegrade as coralbandit suggested. Flakes are best stored in a cool and dark place. Take note that just about the only flakes sold in clear bags come from bulk suppliers. I've bought flakes from Angelsplus and they use an opaque standup ziploc that looks like it's about 10mil thick even though they are also a bulk supplier.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I go by what the expiration date tells me. Buying the right size container for the amount of fish that will consume it within this allotted time is what I am sure manufacturer's intent is. They also probably have some fluff that goes into their expiration date.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I buy food from a supplier that vacuum packs it, and I freeze it, still vacuum packed. When I am ready to open it I allow the whole thing to come to room temperature (sitting on a shelf overnight) so there is no issue with condensation.

http://www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com/
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've fed fish 3 year old flake food, and they still seem to love the stuff.

DIY Enthusiast

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My fish foods are kept in dark zip lock bags and kept in a cabinet drawer that is cool and dark. I've had the food for almost 2 years and only used up about half of the food I have. The bags get opened maybe once a week to once every week and a half.

I wonder if it would be worth storing some of it in a fridge this late in the game?

Diana--Almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com is the only place I know that doesn't use fish meal, shrimp meal, soy meal, salmon meal, etc. in their ingredients. Definetly a good choice of foods for your pets. They are a bit pricey but worth it if you want good food for your fishies.

Trapperwolves

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode