A few quick questions :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A few quick questions :)

Today was a big tank cleaning day and I completely cleaned out my filter (eheim pro 3 2075). The last time I cleaned the filter was 01/01/15.

Tank is 10 months old and each time I clean the filter it looks pretty dirty. My question is is this normal to be this dirty? It kind of looks like dust more then fish waste and such.

I made the mistake of not rinsing my safe t sorb substrate when I first setup the tank and I feel this has been a major contributor to the amount of crap in the filter, thoughts?
Maybe its about cleaning the filter more often, like bi weekly instead of monthly. Flow never seems to decrease though.

here are some pics from today to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

All this stuff comes off everything very easily. I also replace the poly fill each filter clean with fresh material.

My other question is regarding air trapped inside the filter. I have a hydor in-line heater and the way I have to run my hoses it seems like it is hard to get all the air out. Anyhow, I have it up and running but its making a fair bit of squeaking type noises as the air is being pushed out. Is this going to negatively effect my filter? will all the air eventually be pushed from the system? I am still having good flow from the spray bar while all these bubbles are being pushed through so I am not concerned about that. Mostly concerned for the equipment itself.

I never had issues prior to using the hydor heater either.

Here is the tank after the water change and filter clean, I also removed the background (i like it better without it).

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Are you rocking the filter back and forth some to get the air out?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I did a bit, maybe I didn't do it enough though. Is it harmful for the filter to have to work the air out?

i figured out what the air issue was.

Air was getting into the input water line at the top of the tank. I had pushed some connection to tight and it actually caused a small gap where air was leaking in. I realized bubbles were getting into it while I was watching the line carefully.

I simply pulled the connection back out a bit and the seal was fine. the system quickly purged the remaining air and all is well. Hopefully the few hours it ran like that isn't going to do any major harm.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-03-2015 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Planted tanks are dirty. I rinse the sponge on the drain weekly and the rinse water is close to black every time. Unless the tank is cloudy with STS dust I doubt the filter gunk is from STS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So in your opinion the stuff in my filter is likely fish waste and such?

If that's the case I will try doing the canister every 2 weeks instead of once a month. I don't like it building up that much organics.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One thing I have done to slow my filter from getting so dirty is to use a sponge prefilter on the intake and to clean it every week. My filter is never as dirty as yours and I have gone over 60 days on cleaning it.

My problem with canisters is air leaks to and getting them to seal tight. If you are getting air in your filter it's pulling air from some were. My guess would be the main gasket.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i solved the air issues, it was the inlet tube near the top of the tank. Pushed it together too much and actually created a small leak.

I don't mind doing more regular cleaning at all. I just didn't know if that would negative effect my tank (BB) or what. i guess bi weekly is not that much to do a quick rinse.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are your hands in the tank a lot? As in replanting, cleaning, and such? If so, it probably is dust from STS. I use STS and only clean my filters when I notice reduced flow, usually after about 2 months. STS can be stirred up pretty easily and you may not notice it.

,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't been moving too much around lately. But the new addition of 8 yoyo loaches has stirred up the tank a fair bit.

When I first put them in i noticed a lot of debris / dust coming from the substrate and they dart in and wiggle looking for food. they make like little fans kicking up everything all over my 75g. i assume that's why this time my filter was extra dirty.

I will have to see what the filter is like in 2 weeks.

As the yoyo loaches eat now I don't notice hardly anything coming off the substrate no more.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Algae Grower

I'd guess that a lot is probably from your substrate. I only clean my eheim every 3-4 months and it might look that dirty when I replace the fine filter floss. I personally haven't seen any negative effects from only cleaning every 3-4 months so you might be able to get away with less often. But every tank is different so keep an eye out for issues.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I will open up the filter in 2 weeks and see how bad it is and make a call from there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode