High Tech vs Low Tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
High Tech vs Low Tech

Over the last year I have been working to setup a high tech tank, it been nothing but a nightmare with algae, that I still cannot sort out. So about 3 months ago I setup 2 20 gallon long that are low tech, and they are going great, and really loving them. So as much as I love having a 180, it become more of a head ache than an enjoyment.

I plan to pull all the plants and rocks, and wood in a few weeks and do major clean up of the algae and kinda start over with the 180.

Anyway just sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Will you keep the 180 as high tech or switch it to low tech? When I first found myself obsessed with planted tanks, I had visions of doing a 55-gallon high tech tank. I couldn't afford everything at once (super-high-power lights and CO2) so I went with low-tech to start. I found that I was very happy with the results and could not justify the extra cost and headaches that would have gone with a high tech tank. I now have 6 low-tech tanks and wouldn't do it any other way! I know there are certain plants I can't grow without CO2 and high lights but I can live with the trade-off.

55 gal planted community tank, 46 gal Angel tank, 10 gal planted Cherry tank, 55 gal Angel tank, 20 gal Barb tank, 20 gal soon-to-be Cardinal tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hope we have more then begun to understand the many problems with keeping planted tanks. Even Tom Barr would quit after years of failing, if not for growing the verity of plants he has. You'll be here, because this is were the answer will come, to bring you back. Until then. Adieu.

Roll Your Own.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
I hope we have more then begun to understand the many problems with keeping planted tanks. Even Tom Barr would quit after years of failing, if not for growing the verity of plants he has. You'll be here, because this is were the answer will come, to bring you back. Until then. Adieu.
Oh I am not going anywhere, did not mean to make it sound like that, just amazing how well the 2 small tanks are going compared to the big tank. The 2 small tanks made me really enjoy the hobby again.

Now I just need to get the large 180 fixed up before the wife smashes it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 AM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do they allow links to YouTube, here at TPT?
If they do, I've got something I can post but only hope to make you laugh as much as I did right now.

Don't let the wives get together.

Roll Your Own.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Do they allow links to YouTube, here at TPT?
If they do, I've got something I can post but only hope to make you laugh as much as I did right now.

Don't let the wives get together.
ha don't know, you can send the link in a PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
With the initial start of any high tech tank its very important to do your water changes especially if your doing ADA amazonia, with this co2 and nutrients are more lenient to toggle with.

Lighting is where most people f up. They blast the crud outta their tanks with light where there is no return from algae.

But definitely keep up on the water changing, as it resets everything, and if you keep on getting too much algae, its your lighting..
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm too lazy to do what you did, I have a hi-tech 50 gallon and couldn't imagine putting the necessary work into a 180 gallon hi-tech. Even when you seem to be doing everything right in a fast growth tank things can go wrong. Much easier to deal with a 20 to 50 gallon tank when this happens. I'm sure people do it, but it seems like a difficult path...

Dave

Wishing I had a pithy quote
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

I read a lot of posts and asked a lot of questions. Posts that had something to do with questions I had, like you could start with algae.

An algae bloom indicates that there's something out of whack with one or several things in the tank. Mostly the plants have to be growing well. They could be getting too much light, which ime stops them from growing. Possibly they're not getting enough fertilizers. I use a modified IE for my low tech tank. With a high tech tank, you can use the full IE because the plants will grow faster because of the CO2 with the proper light. good water circulation in the tank is also important because it moves the fertilized water around the plant leaves and moves off what they need to get rid of.

But you've probably read all this yourself. As I read once, I think there is a balance in the tank of light, fertilizers, and CO2. Forgive me if I'm missing anything.

So just as a parting piece of info, and I hope this all is helpful, it's not the algae that you have to get rid of, you need to grow the plants and provide the necessary conditions for growth. Then the algae will go away. Right now the conditions are good for growing algae.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I read a lot of posts and asked a lot of questions. Posts that had something to do with questions I had, like you could start with algae.

An algae bloom indicates that there's something out of whack with one or several things in the tank. Mostly the plants have to be growing well. They could be getting too much light, which ime stops them from growing. Possibly they're not getting enough fertilizers. I use a modified IE for my low tech tank. With a high tech tank, you can use the full IE because the plants will grow faster because of the CO2 with the proper light. good water circulation in the tank is also important because it moves the fertilized water around the plant leaves and moves off what they need to get rid of.

But you've probably read all this yourself. As I read once, I think there is a balance in the tank of light, fertilizers, and CO2. Forgive me if I'm missing anything.

So just as a parting piece of info, and I hope this all is helpful, it's not the algae that you have to get rid of, you need to grow the plants and provide the necessary conditions for growth. Then the algae will go away. Right now the conditions are good for growing algae.
I agree with what your saying, and have asked lots of questions, the tank now pushing almost 4 months I still have not put fish in, as I am trying to get sorted out with the plants. The plants have been growing great the first 3 months and they have slowed way down now. I have dropped the light time down to 5 hours a day from 7. Tried to increase the ferts and also decreased nothing seems to fix it. Scrub scrub is what gets rid of it, but that getting old.

Most still brown algae all over the glass, plants, wood and rocks.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 11:52 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree, at least in practice. My plant choices lean towards easier to care for plants. I'm taking this time to improve the mechanical workings of a few things and in the meantime slowed down the maintenance this way. There's something to be learned in trying these high energy tanks. They're worth the attempt. I learned from all of the failures. We all can learn from are errors and when knocked down, we get back up - sometimes to run in retreat.
Quote:
No, I told you, I told you! But did you listen? That bunny has teeth - sharp! You laughed.

Roll Your Own.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
I agree with what your saying, and have asked lots of questions, the tank now pushing almost 4 months I still have not put fish in, as I am trying to get sorted out with the plants. The plants have been growing great the first 3 months and they have slowed way down now. I have dropped the light time down to 5 hours a day from 7. Tried to increase the ferts and also decreased nothing seems to fix it. Scrub scrub is what gets rid of it, but that getting old.

Most still brown algae all over the glass, plants, wood and rocks.
Crank the CO2. If you think you have enough, you probably dont, esp in a 180.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Crank the CO2. If you think you have enough, you probably dont, esp in a 180.
In regards to the CO2, I have 3 drop checker, one in the sump, and 2 in the tank, one high and one low. All 3 are yellow. The PH when the CO2 is not on is around 7.80 according to my APEX and goes down to around 6.

I start the CO2 one hour before lights come on and one hour before lights go off. I know I am using a lot, because 10 lb tank hardly lasts me a month.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry I can't help you more. Try http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/ to ID the algae and read about solutions. Then you could look in google search - try https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I agree, at least in practice. My plant choices lean towards easier to care for plants. I'm taking this time to improve the mechanical workings of a few things and in the meantime slowed down the maintenance this way. There's something to be learned in trying these high energy tanks. They're worth the attempt. I learned from all of the failures. We all can learn from are errors and when knocked down, we get back up - sometimes to run in retreat.
Hey that link was funny, reminds me of a online game that used to have something with bunny in it. ha

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Sorry I can't help you more. Try http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/ to ID the algae and read about solutions. Then you could look in google search - try https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode