New Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Aquarium

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but not aquariums. That being said, my first and only aquarium was a 40 gallon reef tank. Stunning and so much fun. Anyways, after being out of the hobby I'm beung given a 20 gallon. This time Id like to go freashwater. This tank is currently owned by a friend and stocked with a horrific 130" of fish. Obviously first task is to cut that down. My biggest questions are whatto stock and plant care.

1. Will the dual t5ho light be enough? It has one color max bulb and one 6500K bulb.

2. Which fish should I keep or rehome? He has hatchets, cherry barbs, tigerbarbs?, zebra danios, platys, mollies, guppies, gobies, plecos, and a goldfish.

3. Im well prepared for the maintenance of a high light tank but, not sure of the equipment needed nor parameters.

4. Which plants should I keep and di I need to replace the gravel filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
20 high or long?

What wattage is the lighting fixture?

I'd definitely lose the goldfish.. probably the platys and mollies too personally but that still leaves a lot. They're poop machines. Ditch the guppies if you don't want fry in everything all the time too.

If it's high light you'll want a carbon source and fertilizers. Plenty of info here about those.
If you ever ended up going the diy or pressurized CO2 route, yes you'd want to ditch the under gravel filter if it's air lift style. The surface disturbance from the aerators will out gas CO2 faster. Even if it's not air lift plant roots will tangle all in it etc etc.

The biggest secret to a successful planted tank is that black gravel with the bits of neon pink, orange, green etc as your substrate!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its a 20 gallon high. Personally Platy fish are my favorite but, you're right about mollies and goldfish. Would the cherry barbs be better than the supossed tigers? I'm not real sure on how any of these fish behave unfortunately.

So for filtration I was thinking a hob style rated for 50 gallons?

Why is this gravel the secret? Lol

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumentum View Post
Its a 20 gallon high. Personally Platy fish are my favorite but, you're right about mollies and goldfish. Would the cherry barbs be better than the supossed tigers? I'm not real sure on how any of these fish behave unfortunately.

So for filtration I was thinking a hob style rated for 50 gallons?

Why is this gravel the secret? Lol
Twas a joke about the gravel, that stuff is hideous!

I have no experience with cherries or tigers personally. If the platys you plan on keeping are primarily in the orange/red range you may want to go with a different fish altogether to contrast. When I kept red wag and orange mm platies I noticed it was just to much red spectrum for my liking.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I dont care much for the cherry barbs. I do love the tigers although they look odd. I may do the platy fish with the barbs for a gold, red and striped look.

How do you think some galaxy danios and/or a blue gourami would for contrast?

My biggest worry is how the plants will handle the stocking. Do you stock a freshwater tank like a saltwater one?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've never stocked a sw tank so idk. The danios are gorgeous I want some myself but can't find them locally. As for gouramis, people like them but personally I've had nothing but bullies when I stock them. I don't like them personally. Plants eat the byproducts of fish so it should be no problem.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So this is my ideal stocking. Give me your opinions.

Platy- there are already 8 various ones that I'll keep.

Mollies- Im keeping only one sailfin male and his mate. The other 6 are gone.

Pearl danios- I'd like to get a good 10-15 school.

Tiger barbs?- id like to keep the 5 and increase to 10. Just not sure what they are.

Any suggestion for a splash of blue.

As for plants, does anyone have an suggestions for foreground and midground plants? Ive decided on anachris for background.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

That's already like 30-35 fish. Quite a bit considering the live bearers are messy little things and will add to your stock regularly. Anacharis doesn't really play nicely with flourish excel just FYI. Not sure if you're planning on using it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I havent figured out the fertilazation thing yet. Im actually second guessing the mollies due to the sailfins aggression. I think I may hold of on extra barbs as well since Im not sure what they are.

What sort of fertilizers do plants need? I was mostly looking at java fern, dwarf lilly and maybe some sort of red plant.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I havent figured out the fertilazation thing yet. Im actually second guessing the mollies due to the sailfins aggression. I think I may hold off on extra barbs as well since Im not sure what they are.

What sort of fertilizers do plants need? I was mostly looking at java fern, dwarf lilly and maybe some sort of red plant.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 04:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Npk like any other plant really. Most of what you're looking at should do OK without ferts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode