What else can I do to save this planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok. So we have a planted tank and just can't keep them looking healthy. Dark spots/algae...not sure what we can do. It's a 90 gallon tank. Dosing with excel daily 9ml. Root tabs and the occasional flourish iron dosing (9ml). Also sometimes the flourish complete liquid. Had the light on 12 hrs and just reduced to 10 hrs. (Finnex Ray 2). Also with a Current strip light that I put into moonlight mode after the Ray 2 turns off for a few hours. I'm attaching pics in hopes that you could help identify the problem.

Also we have 4 silver dollars, 1angelfish, 1 bristlenose pleco, 1 blue gourami, 12 Blackfin tetras, 8 corycats (2 different types) 2 Siamese algae eaters ( just added those) and a handful of nerite and some assassin snails. We started the tank 1.5 yrs ago. Fluval 405 filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1422399221988.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	421362  

Name:	image_1422399241828.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	421370  

Name:	image_1422399266001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	421386  

Name:	image_1422399291783.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	421394  

Name:	image_1422399310048.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	421402  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-29-2015 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think number one is to still reduce your lighting photoperiod. With no CO2 injection I would think 6-8 hours would be the most I would go on lighting.

I'd also do some trimming and removing some of the dead leaves and dose excel more directly to the really severely covered algae leaves.

I think that would be a good start.

I think the Nerites will be huge for you going forward as well.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks. I'll cut the lighting back more. My hubs often will shoot the excel directly. But I just shoot it in the tank when I do it to avoid a wet arm.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The picture of the whole tank says a lot. You have very little plants in there and
no/very little faster growing types of them.
This lack of has actually helped you till now because fish food/waste does contain some
of the nutrients which plants need. Those add to what you are dosing to give the tank
a bare minimum level(which obviously isn't actually)of all the nutrients that the plants
need...almost.
I would suggest you get one plant that can get larger for the back right corner and
it would help to give more faster growth type plants in there. Water Sprite has a couple of different types, leaf shapes so that you can pick one that suits you the most.
Just Google pictures of it. I suggest this plant because it's terribly easy to grow but also uses Potassium more than other plants. But this makes it a barometer of your Potassium level so you can easily tell if it's too low.
Someone did mention to me that the kind/w the broader leaves does shade the bottom leaves after it gets big and this hurts the lower leaves so I got the type that has the thin leaves. Looks as if it would block water current less also.
Potassium is the main nutrient very low in your dosing items. Leaf Zone has it if you want more liquid type ferts but dry fert go much farther. You get a half LB or a full LB of a nutrient in those for $4-10 depending on the kind and you only get a tsp of that same type in a bottle of the liquid. You could actually just get the LB of Potassium and add it to what you are using now. Cost about $4 plus shipping.
I use 7 hrs of light in one of my two tanks and have a no light gap in the middle so it's on in the A.M. and the P.M. when I can view it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 AM
Algae Grower

Really surprised that you have any plants left with the silver dollar fish....

Reduce lighting period or add co2. Maintain consistency with your dosing.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think it would be important to get on a fertilizer regimen and keep to it. This is equivalent to what some people say, "Just grow your plants." The point is that if you give the plants the fertilizer they need, the algae won't grow on them anymore.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. I'll add some more plants. We had one behind the dragon. But it happened to be a kind that our fish did like to eat. Lol luckily, our silver dollars are picky plant eaters and as long as we keep romaine lettuce and them well fed, they leave the current plants alone.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Planted Member

I noticed you use root tabs but only occassionaly use fertilizer. Do you have a test kit to see what your nitrates are? I wouldnt add more plants until you are certain you dont have a nutrient deficiency. The curling, yellow leaves means your lacking some nutrients.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm actually at the fish store now. I do have a test kit. It's been awhile since I tested. But our nitrates were at 20ish. The colors are so similar with the api test kit.
Since we had root tabs, I didn't think it was necessary to dose Flourish daily. So that's why. Plus, since it's stored in the fridge, I often forget.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

you not dosing any macro nutrients. i would suggest doing so as well as keep up with the micros and excel. reduce lighting to 6 hours or go to 8 hours and raise your fixture up.

keep up with water changes, weekly about 50%. remove any old leaves that are dying or have a lot of algae. its important to only keep healthy growth on plants and remove everything else so its not wasting nutrients trying to keep old dying leaves alive.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Macro/micro ? I'm guessing that's the root tabs and flourish ferts ?

Another question, how often would you think I should dose iron supplement ? I gave a couple red plants. I was doing it like 1-2 a week. Think that's enough, or is it a daily thing too ? I saw some nice red doing it a couple times a week.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-29-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnybear_05 View Post
Macro/micro ? I'm guessing that's the root tabs and flourish ferts ?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=806066

For a tank without a lot of plants in it the PPS Pro liquid ferts would be good.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just to update. We added more plants, reduced the lighting to 8 hrs ( I still leave the strip light on so I can see in the tank for a few hours longer at night. But it's not a real strong light imo) and been consistent with excel, flourish and iron dosing daily. It's looking good. Not perfect, but much better. We also added two siamese algae eaters ( flying foxes)

Looking into doing injected co2 in the future.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pic added
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1424626609731.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	434513  

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I would get a pleco get rid of the Siamese algae eaters, they can harass smaller fish when they get bigger.

I sell L144s Blue Eyed, $5 each best pleco for a planted tank.

Start dosing EI

8 hour lights on

Test your Nitrate and Phosphate

Keep your nitrates in the 15 range and phosphates around 1

And of course Co2 would help, but not necessary.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode