Top Fin tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Top Fin tanks

Anyone had any experience with any of the top fin brand tanks? I was thinking about picking up one of the tanks that comes with the kit and everything, but I read a lot of reviews about the tank bursting all of a sudden with no warning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Top Fin tanks

I have several 2.5g, 5g, & 20Ls that have been used for 3+ years and I've had no problems with the tanks leaking.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
My current 29g is a Top Fin tank only. My 55g lost its seal 2-3 years ago and my 29g was suppose to be a temporary fix until I reseal the 55g. Well, I never went back to the 55g. I did reseal it but I never put it back in service because I didn't feel like taking the 29 down. I ended up loosing half my fish in the 55g so that was another reason I never went back to it.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Time and again when new people are asking about "kit" type aquariums they get the same answer. Usually the cheapest way to get everything in one deal. Then because your not satisfied/w the performance of the "goes with" items, you replace them one at a time till everything but the tank is new.
So I started it backwards this time. Got the sub so far. When I get "extra" I will get one of those new Marineland "Precision" heaters. And so on. Likely will get the tank/w the tax money because I want to do a DIY rock wall in it. But I won't fill the tank till I've bought all the everything I want/w it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I got a top fin 20 g starter kit in 05 or 06 that still has great seams. The great choice ones from petsmart are manufactured a little cheaper. Also have several 2.5s and 10s that have been running for years, no bad seams for me.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I'm looking into possibly getting a 40 tall tank due to a little bit of lack of space in my house. Only problem is it's an odd size and the petsmart top fin kit is really the cheapest option for it. Actually it's really the only option. Everywhere else I've looked they sell the whole setup, stand, etc, which I don't need. They don't usually sell this sized tank by itself. Right now I can get it right now at petsmart's website for 110 dollars.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's my understanding that TopFin tanks are made by Aqueon for Petsmart. I have a couple 75's that have held up perfectly. I'm most likely going to get a couple more.

,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If Aqueon makes them, I have had good luck with Aqueon, and have several tanks from 10 to 29 gallons that I know are Aqueon. Some of the larger ones might be, too. I do not remember (or never knew- got them used).
My 125 is by Aqueon.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Aqueon is one of the best out there. I have complete confidence in their tanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Aqueon is one of the best out there. I have complete confidence in their tanks.
That is how I feel!
Pretty excited actually as I just searched and it appears to be true!

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:28 AM
Algae Grower

The 5.5 gallon and 25 gallon bow front I got were made really, really well. Their holding up without any issues, although I would say that some of the sealant is sometimes smeared over the glass on the sides (at least to me it's visible enough).

If you get the kits, their heaters work great but their filters mostly aren't adjustable at all. They tend to be more overpowered than underpowered.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode