massive fish die-off need suggestions for restock - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
massive fish die-off need suggestions for restock

So last night I come home to my 6yo telling me that my 4yo took the opportunity of my wife taking a smoke break to pour sugar, powdered sugar, chocolate syrup and bc powders into my 125g.
I did a massive water change but that didn't really help. I lost all but 2 plecos and 1 rainbow. The tank is heavily planted and I want to restock it, but I'm not sure what with. I've had about everything possible over the years. I would like to go with some larger than tetras and I'd prefer something aggressive but id like for my plecos to be safe.
Piranhas would be fun but they would eat the plecos.
Arowana is possible (for a little while until they outgrow).

What are your ideas?

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Native fish? Maybe make it a sunfish tank and add some shiners and such?
You may also want to lock the lid or make it VERY clear that the tank is not to be messed with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
An aquarium store near me has this display tank that is incredible. It is simply stocked with plecos and loaches... but they are huge. The loaches get well over 8 inches and the driftwood and natural elements they have in there make it an awesome tank to just watch. It may have a few huge silver dollars in it as well. Anyhow, it's a memorable tank that is pleco safe although it has large occupants. I've had some plecos get gigantic on me in past tanks and have always considered them to be pretty hardy considering tank mates. Their tough scales and evasive mannerisms kept them safe with anything I put in there with them including many types of aggressive south american fish that grew large.

I'd look at lots of tank pics online and figure out what your favorites are that would easily go in the parameters you keep your plecos in. Oh, and explain to your 4 year old that fish can't eat people food or things that may look cool being dumped into the water. I have toddlers too so I really do feel for you. They do some crazy things, thankfully they have not decided to make a giant head ache relieving chocolate sugar drink out of any of my tanks. Yet.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
I've had about everything possible over the years. I would like to go with some larger than tetras and I'd prefer something aggressive but id like for my plecos to be safe.

What are your ideas?
Polyepterus and a knife fish?

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish for sale

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSA1255 View Post
Oh, and explain to your 4 year old that fish can't eat people food or things that may look cool being dumped into the water.
Surely the 4yo in question has been sent off to live on a farm by now?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Filamentosa Barbs (Not aggressive, but highly active, show fish.) 1-2M + 2-4F pr all males.
I have Senegal Bichers. There are others, more colorful. Predatory. Will eat what fits, and they can open their mouths big enough to eat some 3" long fish. Not aggressive.
Snakeskin Gouramis- One of the few that are OK kept several per tank. Try 1M + 1-2F, and have some upper level plants, driftwood or something.
Knives- Generally peaceful, but make sure they are big enough not to get eaten. They are slow growing, and the Bichers are fast growing. If they start out the same size the Bichers might get big enough to eat the slower growing knives. Look into some of the glass knives, African Brown Knife, and others that won't outgrow the tank.
'Eels', (Mastacembelus, several sp) Check the maximum size. They are social among themselves, probably predatory toward small fish.
Mid-sized Cichlids from South and Central America: Keyhole, Firemouth, Hero, Severum... obviously a lot more research into species, social needs and so on. Generally most Cichlids can be quite aggressive defending their territory, especially when they are paired, M+F and are in the mood to breed. Some are relatively peaceful toward other species, as long as the others stay out of their space. Make sure to research breeding behavior, though.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Maybe some of the new fish who have just been found and imported from the African Lakes. Unless you have been incredibly busy, I'm sure you have not done them all. and there is always a good place to go back and actually look at some of those you have had and learn so much more than the first glance will give.
Since they estimate that there are between 2000-3000 species of cichlids alone, I would guess that you have not really done most of them?
If you have not checked the list in the past 5 years, you may be amazed at how many new types there are available.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Native fish? Maybe make it a sunfish tank and add some shiners and such?
You may also want to lock the lid or make it VERY clear that the tank is not to be messed with.
Not really wanting a native tank. Actually thinking of maybe some bucktooth tetras.
There is lid not will there be a lid.
My daughter has been told multiple times, but she's 4 so there's not a lot of retention there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSA1255 View Post
An aquarium store near me has this display tank that is incredible. It is simply stocked with plecos and loaches... but they are huge. The loaches get well over 8 inches and the driftwood and natural elements they have in there make it an awesome tank to just watch. It may have a few huge silver dollars in it as well. Anyhow, it's a memorable tank that is pleco safe although it has large occupants. I've had some plecos get gigantic on me in past tanks and have always considered them to be pretty hardy considering tank mates. Their tough scales and evasive mannerisms kept them safe with anything I put in there with them including many types of aggressive south american fish that grew large.

I'd look at lots of tank pics online and figure out what your favorites are that would easily go in the parameters you keep your plecos in. Oh, and explain to your 4 year old that fish can't eat people food or things that may look cool being dumped into the water. I have toddlers too so I really do feel for you. They do some crazy things, thankfully they have not decided to make a giant head ache relieving chocolate sugar drink out of any of my tanks. Yet.
I like the idea of some big loaches.
This is not the first time she has dumped a bunch of crap in this tank. She leaves the bigger tank and smaller tanks alone but the 125g is her science experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
Polyepterus and a knife fish?
I'm not real big on the birchirs, but I like the knife fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee739 View Post
Surely the 4yo in question has been sent off to live on a farm by now?
If I had that option I'd be on the farm. My preferred living arrangement next to living 100 miles from anyone in the woods.

No she got a belt across her backside and her face in the corner. Oh and no more chocolate milk for a week since she used chocolate syrup in the tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Maybe some of the new fish who have just been found and imported from the African Lakes. Unless you have been incredibly busy, I'm sure you have not done them all. and there is always a good place to go back and actually look at some of those you have had and learn so much more than the first glance will give.
Since they estimate that there are between 2000-3000 species of cichlids alone, I would guess that you have not really done most of them?
If you have not checked the list in the past 5 years, you may be amazed at how many new types there are available.
No, I haven't done them all. I've never had cichlids and I don't plan to. Never had any care to own any cichlids.

Semper Fi
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Congo tetras could be cool.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode