fish fungus, how fast does it spread?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
fish fungus, how fast does it spread?!

Is it contagious?

Assuming a fish is just starting to show a sign of fungus, small maybe 1mm in diameter. How fast would this spread?

I am not sure if what I see if a fungus or not but I am trying to decide if I should just leave it and observe for a bit or act immediately without knowing what it is. I am leaning more towards leaving it for now.

I have looked at many fungus pictures online and what I see is just way to small to tell.

No other fish is showing any signs of anything. The fish in question is active and eats fine.

Bump: On Friday I had to use a pop bottle fish trap to remove an aggressive fish. The pearl gouramis in question did go in the trap accidentally and while trying to get him out he freaked out a bit. Maybe he scuffed the top of his head where the mark is? Possible right?

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

a) Is it REALLY fungus? Compare to Columnaris, a bacterial problem.
If it is Columnaris:
It can spread FAST, and kill FAST. There are several varieties. Antibiotics that target Gram negative bacteria will treat it.
Other bacterial problems might show up as red streaks near the injury (it got infected and needs stronger meds).

b) REAL fungi usually attack already compromised tissue, such as an injury or infection. The first line of defense is to cure the original problem. Sounds like this could be what is going on, if there is fluff growing where the fish got scratched.

c) A clear scrape, no fuzz, might just be the tissue showing where the scales got scraped off, and needs no treatment except clean water.

Basic treatment:
Water changes to remove as much organic matter from the water, especially at the bottom of the tank, and in the filter.
If the problem is JUST diagnosed, then something simple like Melafix and Pimafix may help (Not for Anabantoids, though). If the problem has gone on long enough to be internal these will not work.
A small dose of salt may help fish under stress. 1 tsp per 10 gallons max for most fish, plants.
Moving a single fish to a quarantine tank can help- minimize the spread, reduce the cost of treating, maintain a bare bottom for more effective treatment and cleanliness.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So if its b) does this type of fungus spread externally? If so how quickly does it spread?

I am 99% sure its not columnaris as the fish is look great and feeds well.

Does real fungus cause the fish to stop eating or lose color or get stressed or become inactive?

will real fungus grow in size daily?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Fungus can grow and become a problem, once it has a toe-hold on the tissue. It can invade healthy tissue. I would treat with a real fungicide. You will have to read the labels, figure out the active ingredients.
Many fish medicines are labeled as if they treat fungi, but they are really antibiotics that treat bacterial issues that have common names that sound like they are fungi. Fin Rot, for example, is almost always a bacterial issue, and Mouth Fungus, and a few other diseases have the word Fungus in their common name.
Some medicines are active against both fungi and bacteria.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I really want to be able to identify what it is before I go stressing out the fish moving him to a QT only to further stress him out with meds that he may not need.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode