~3 month anniversary! Feedback requested! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
~3 month anniversary! Feedback requested!

Hello!

As the title says, I've had an established 40g planted tank for a few months now, but wanted to get some help on a few things. Most things are growing pretty well, (albeit slowly as it is low tech) but I have a few issues.

1. I've noticed some melting/browning leaves on my swords. One of which is kind of turning a a reddish/brownish color. Is this normal or is there something I am missing here?:

2. I think I've all but given up on my anacharis. It has gotten pretty wimpy and I might put it in one of my other non planted tanks and see how it goes. I does excel every other day and I understand that they can be sensitive to this so I'll probably replace with some other plant. Any suggestions for a good low tech plant that gets tall? Maybe something with some more color as other than my ludwigia its all pretty green

3. My crypt is growing well, but I noticed some of the leaves are having a brownish/reddish color too. Do they ever do that or there some sort of nutrient deficiency?

4. Everything else is actually pretty good. The dwarf hairgrass is really taking off, my Ludwigia is producing some nice pink leaves, and some "greenish" water seems to have finally taken care of itself. My pennywort almost entirely died off but is making a come back too. Some of my pics look pretty green but thats just poor photography. In person things look pretty good I have pics from 10-24-14 and 1-22-15 to compare

Water Parameters

PH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm

1 hour LED 6.50 hours T5 7.5 hours total
2 x 39 Watt T5

dosing 5ml Flourish excel one day and 5ml Flourish trace the next. I also do a daily log on tumblr:
http://overcookedegg.tumblr.com/

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150122_002.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	419274  

Name:	WP_20150122_004.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	419282  

Name:	WP_20150122_003.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	419290  

Name:	WP_20150122_001.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	419298  

Name:	tumblr_ndza6aNEwo1u27p1jo1_1280.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	419306  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 AM
Algae Grower

Dose excel more. Up to 7 times a week. Dose trace 2x weekly. Trace and get iron and dose that at same time as excel (waiting 2 minutes or so). Your plants are lacking iron that is why their color is changing.I also believe these plants would grow taller and more more full with higher level of nitrogen. Nitrates being only 5ppm makes feel as though a nitrogen supplement would be useful for you. Only but once a week.. The addition of more fish can also provide nitrogen in a more simple way, just not all forums of readily available nitrogen.

Ever consider a hill instead of all that mud up against the front glass?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for advice. I'll see about getting an Iron supplement. I have no fish so maybe it is time to get some of those going. I'll see about adding some tetras or something.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcookedegg View Post
Thanks for advice. I'll see about getting an Iron supplement. I have no fish so maybe it is time to get some of those going. I'll see about adding some tetras or something.
No fish? That's why I felt the nitrogen levels were low. I didn't want to bring it up because it seems a bit much to dose nitrogen in this tank. Having the fish poo'ing will actually fertilize the plants. You'll probably see those stem plants get better leafs and growing taller.

Bump: You can cut that old sword leaf too. It's not aesthetically pleasing and the plant is still sending energy to it. If you remove the leaf the plant can utilize that energy elsewhere.

• 60g Planted Community (Injected/Automated/Heavily dosed daily)
  • 40g Tall Planted Angelfish Growout (Dosed/Low Tech)
  • 10g Plant Crop Tank (Mostly stem trimmings)
  • 20g Long Reef (Dosed/Low Tech)
  • 27 Aquarium Maintenance Accounts (Freshwater/Saltwater/Insured Serviceman)
Reptiles:Ball Python, Flordia Blotched King, Albino Striped Corn, Kenya Sand Boa, and a Bearded Dragon.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
The dying sword plant leaves were grown in air and don't live long underwater. Agree with James', cut them out and the tank will look better.

I bet the brown/red on the sword and crypt are fine. I bought Crypt. wendtii 'green' and it has a lot of brown on it, bit disappointed about that. Lots of sword plant varieties will have reddish to purple new leaves which can be very pretty.

Haven't grown Elodea for ages but I read that it is sensitive to Excel like a few other common aquatic plants. I'd ditch it for sure. Pennywort is like that but once it gets going it is just gorgeous.

Flourish trace has iron, I'd follow the directions on the bottle for now as other than air leaves dying everything else is doing fine. Once the bottle is gone then look into using Complete though. It could have enough of the minerals plants need for your tank.

You might play with photo editing to make your photos look more like what you see. Frustrating that you cannot show us what your tank really looks like!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode