Is a 14 lb rock to much weight to add to tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Is a 14 lb rock to much weight to add to tank?

I have a rock that I would like to add to my tank, but I am nervous of putting that much weight in one spot....am I being overly nervous or is this something that I should worry about? I am using natural rocks not fake ones so they have some weight to them, I just dont want it to bust the bottom...... this may be a stupid question and for that im sorry, but I just need some opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
As long as the glass is flat and well supported underneath, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, you're putting it on top of gravel, not just on bare glass, right? That will help distribute the weight more. Don't forget, glass is pretty strong... it holds a LOT of water weight, which weights way more than your rock. (8 lbs/gallon)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes i have alot of gravel.... Not just ontop of glass Thanks for replying

Destinee

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

also keep in mind that a 14 lbs rock under water will weigh less once it is submerged.... if you can calculate the volume of the rock and subtract that specific volume in water weight ie the amount of water it displaces from the 14 lbs you will end up with your new weight...

14lbs rock displacing 1 gallon of water @ 8lbs a gallon would weigh 6 lbs
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Unless you broke that rock apart, 14lbs is 14lbs. Buoyancy is something different. If you plan on burrowing your rock in any way, use egg crate underneath the substrate. Placing egg crate on the bare glass will give you a 100% cushion against anything that may go that low. Egg crate is expensive but its worth it in the long run by preventing glass damage.

As mentioned above, don't underestimate the strength of glass. Although acrylic is actually stronger, glass can hold many many pounds. I remember seeing a youtube video a while back of a guy stacking many boulders inside of a 10lb tank. He stacked boulders 3'-4' high at 50lbs+ right in the center of the tank. A 10g is very thin glass and the tank never broke, he was just out of rocks and couldn't keep going.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You're not the only one to have rocks in your tank. I wouldn't worry.

If the rock comes in contact with the glass, a piece of foam in between should do..
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

It'll be fine.. I use rocks weighing 30-40 lbs in my tanks; just rest them on a softer mat or egg crate or something so there are no pressure points

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wink

Thanks for all the replies you guys I put it in the tank and it looks great

Destinee
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do a check of African cichlid tanks where rocks are the norm. I Often have them stacked almost to the top. And don't worry about the bottom unless you are concerned about seeing scratchs from underneath!
When dealing with fish who dig you will find value in putting the rock directly on the bottom to keep them from undermining the stack so that it may tip and slide. And you for sure don't want eggcrate to be exposed every time they dig.
If it is a big rock and hard to handle, the biggest worry is dropping it so maybe a second set of hands is good.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Do a check of African cichlid tanks where rocks are the norm. I Often have them stacked almost to the top. And don't worry about the bottom unless you are concerned about seeing scratchs from underneath!
When dealing with fish who dig you will find value in putting the rock directly on the bottom to keep them from undermining the stack so that it may tip and slide. And you for sure don't want eggcrate to be exposed every time they dig.
If it is a big rock and hard to handle, the biggest worry is dropping it so maybe a second set of hands is good.
PlantedRich that tank is beautiful. How many fish do you have in there?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like to stick things on the bottom, I'm a little concerned that they may be unstable resting on the surface of the substrate, especially if there is any settling, or if you have any critters that dig.

And I usually stick something on the bottom of the tank, not so much for weight distribution, but just to keep anything from scratching up the tanks. I think this is especially important in bigger tanks, as a lot of them have tempered glass bottoms, and if tempered glass is scratched deep enough, the whole piece will shatter and disintegrate.

Almost anything will work for this, but I like buying the really big pieces of plastic canvas (I think you can get sheets that are something like 12"x18" for a dollar or so)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
how many fish? Hard to say at any given time. It was a 75 that I used for both breeding and growout so the number varied a lot. When I took this picture there were three hap Moori (blue dolphin), maybe fifteen hap ahli (electric blue , the main group about a dozen yellow labs. The tank was set up mostly for the labs and ease of removing the rocks to catch the females when they were holding. The labs liked the rocks and were breeding till I was silly.

Heh, Buddy! When you gonna help me out here?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinee View Post
I have a rock that I would like to add to my tank, but I am nervous of putting that much weight in one spot....am I being overly nervous or is this something that I should worry about? I am using natural rocks not fake ones so they have some weight to them, I just dont want it to bust the bottom...... this may be a stupid question and for that im sorry, but I just need some opinions

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 04:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Hey, how did you find that video, lol. I searched and searched for it. That was the one I was referring to. I didn't realize it was tempered but still, that is a lot of weight centered in a tank.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
Hey, how did you find that video, lol. I searched and searched for it. That was the one I was referring to. I didn't realize it was tempered but still, that is a lot of weight centered in a tank.
"how many rocks in tempered aquarium?"

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode