Suggestions needed for re-starting a tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions needed for re-starting a tank

I bought a nano tank that came with a background. I should have glued the foam background in place before I did anything else. But I thought the gravel, and the light, and the lid would keep the foam in place. WRONG. Stupid thing started floating and now it's out of the tank.

I like the background and would want to put it back in. But I think I need to move the fish and plants, substrate is fluval stratum. Moving the fish to other tanks is not an option as I have a Beta & 3 corrys (the corys could join another tank, but I doubt I'd ever catch them to move them back).

I'm planning to go back to the LFS for silicone, and see if they have a small 5-10 gallon.

Otherwise I might move the fish into a Rubbermaid bin.

This is not quite as bad as the time I had to restart a tank because soap got in it.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 02:42 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RJ View Post
I bought a nano tank that came with a background. I should have glued the foam background in place before I did anything else. But I thought the gravel, and the light, and the lid would keep the foam in place. WRONG. Stupid thing started floating and now it's out of the tank.

I like the background and would want to put it back in. But I think I need to move the fish and plants, substrate is fluval stratum. Moving the fish to other tanks is not an option as I have a Beta & 3 corrys (the corys could join another tank, but I doubt I'd ever catch them to move them back).

I'm planning to go back to the LFS for silicone, and see if they have a small 5-10 gallon.

Otherwise I might move the fish into a Rubbermaid bin.

This is not quite as bad as the time I had to restart a tank because soap got in it.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed!
First and foremost is your tank even cycled? Please research a fish-in cycle and pick up a bottle of Prime... Dose this product daily as labeled to detoxify nitrite until you read nitrate. I like Seachem AmGuard for ammonia as it has a 48hour effectiveness.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You could glue small suctions cups onto the back of the background. Then you wouldn't have to move the fish. I have seen magnets used too. Glue them on the back, put background in tank and place magnets on the outside of tank to hold it in place. If you want to use the silicone you could just lower the water level to about half way, put silicone on the top part of background, and then let it cure for a day before raising water level. It shouldn't take much silicone to hold it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Perhaps use a metal or stiff plastic scoop of some sort (or even a flat panel of any sort) to scoot the substrate out of the way, and then use superglue gel to glue the back panel on? That stuff will work underwater, even. May not even have to remove the occupants... or if you do, just scoop out a pitcher of water. Tank critters would be fine in there for an hour while you futz with things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've had the tank running for 3 weeks, and I started it using water taken from a well established planted tank.

I've got the fish in a bin, lights on the plants, and ready to put it all back together on Sunday.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've noticed with superglue gel when applied outside the tank then submerged to place say.. An anubias or something trying to stick it to a rock that's already submerged it doesn't adhere so well. I think it's more that you can get it stuck for that initial ten seconds with the two surfaces you're trying to mate outside the tank and then submerge it and let it cure underwater.

I think the magnet idea is great. Less permanent if you decide you no longer like the background.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the tips. This is still nothing compared to the time I got soap in the tank. In a moment of panic, I hooked the filter back up. Duhhh.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RJ View Post
I've had the tank running for 3 weeks, and I started it using water taken from a well established planted tank.

I've got the fish in a bin, lights on the plants, and ready to put it all back together on Sunday.
Hi Matthew, sorry to tell you that water (i.e. water only) from a well-established tank will contribute nothing ("0") in the way of beneficial bacteria towards developing a properly cycled tank. You would have needed media from a healthy established filter, which is where the bb locates itself - it doesn't free-float in the water column.
Best first off, is to get yourself a test kit for at least, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, so as to be able to follow the nitrifying cycle through it's process, which often takes up to 6 weeks, before the water conditions are safe to accommodate fish.
Please do some homework, so you won't lose fish & be sorry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode