High risk tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
High risk tank

Hi guys! can this be fix? or high risk of flooding my house?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-21-2015 at 03:43 AM. Reason: No Craigslist links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Much depends on your outlook but for me, I would not consider it that much problem. But I also want equipment that works and I'm willing to accept less than premium appearance. Many of my tanks are work tanks. Also I do most of my own work which factors in as I find center braces to be an item which I can replace with something that is easy to make, very secure but looks like a poor boy built it. Works and I don't care!
Rather than wonder if a self installed glass brace will hold, I install a metal brace and then hide it under a canopy.

This is the tank and canopy and visitors love it!

But underneath it all, I know there is this. The wooden brace is part of the hood but the metal brace for the tank is very easy to build, secure, and I know I can depend on it.
A piece of all-thread, a few nuts and two metal strips bent to shape and you are set.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can buy new top trims online too!! Probably a $50 fix..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Much depends on your outlook but for me, I would not consider it that much problem. But I also want equipment that works and I'm willing to accept less than premium appearance. Many of my tanks are work tanks. Also I do most of my own work which factors in as I find center braces to be an item which I can replace with something that is easy to make, very secure but looks like a poor boy built it. Works and I don't care!
Rather than wonder if a self installed glass brace will hold, I install a metal brace and then hide it under a canopy.

But underneath it all, I know there is this. The wooden brace is part of the hood but the metal brace for the tank is very easy to build, secure, and I know I can depend on it.
A piece of all-thread, a few nuts and two metal strips bent to shape and you are set.

rich im not very good at carpentry how you hide your tank fix is amazing :-)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie321 View Post
You can buy new top trims online too!! Probably a $50 fix..

Id this the one?

http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/custom-frames

I have never tried removing a plastic trim, i can reseal a tank but dont know how to remove a plastic trim.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post

rich:
where did you get the metal thing? can you give me a link where i can get it.?

thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

I agree. PlantedRich, that's a beautiful tank stand and top. I'm not a real fan of canopies but that one is probably one of the nicest I've seen. Kudos.

To the OP, I would not fill a 100 gallon tank in my house that was designed for a brace but the brace is busted. I have a 45 gallon I took out of service because I broke the center brace and was real uncomfortable with the way the sides bowed in the center when the tank was full without the brace. I'm still contemplating whether to dump/dispose of it or build my own replacement center brace.

Last edited by Zippos; 01-21-2015 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Spelling boo boos
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for the comments, guys. I have to admit it turned out as nice as I can expect. Bit of a bother to do but I had specific things to hide and it does that.

For the tank brace. I found "repair straps" at the hardware which were strong enough to hold but still thin enough that I could bend them. I have a vice but they could be bent down over the edge of concrete other such with a bit more work. I also found the ones which have screw holes so I did not have to drill the metal. Cheat when you get a chance?
Otherwise it is pretty straight stuff to do.
Drawing it on paper may be as hard as doing?

My first try I went with just a bend on one end but found that tried to climb up off the edge as I tightened and I sure did not want that so did it this way. The pressure pulling in on the strap end makes the outer end go down rather than slip up.

A small point on the picture I posted? The wood next to the strap is to support the thin wood at the front of the canopy. The white strip is not really a part of the canopy itself but part of what I might call the "surround "which fits in front and down the ends of the tank. This six foot 1X2 tends to bend down in the middle if there is not a support. I try to keep in mind that anything I build may have to move at some point so this makes it possible to remove one screw and then the whole thing comes apart in three sections of wood plus the tank. I wanted to go for a "built-in" look but not actually cut any studs or sheetrock.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode