Grow out tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Grow out tank

A couple of years ago I broke the center brace on a 55. I repaired it using plexieglass but didn't like the way it ended up looking so it has been sitting idle in the basement. For a while now I have been thinking about using it as a grow out tank.

Finding myself with nothing to do today I headed down to the basement to check it out. I also had a old stereo console in the basement that is about 55" long and the right height to set the tank on. I also had a penguin HOB that wasn't being used since I converted my tanks to cannisters. Yep, there was that old heater laying there also. Lights, well a 48" single strip that came with the tank was there - 40W and I had a 48" shop light that wasn't being used. Oh, also had enough SMS red left over to give me a 3" layer of substrate.

Set the tank up filled it up and off to Home Depot for new bulbs for the shop light. Ended up getting 2 of the 40W Phillips Daylight Deluxe 6500K bulbs. So now I have 120 watts of T8 and T12 light over the tank. So thats it, a pretty simple setup and from stuff I had lying around not being used anymore. First tank I haven't spent big bucks on, lol.

The plan is to use this as a grow out tank for my plant trimmings. I trim every Sunday and the timing is not always convient with sharing or selling them. Now they will go straight to the grow out tank. Then I can pull them at any time and share, sell or trade them.

I will also use the tank as a grow out for the Purple Moscow guppies I am breeding. Along with these I ordered some honeycomb Bristlenose Plecos several weeks ago. I wanted about 8 to go in my current tanks and the guy sent me 16 ranging from 1/4" to 1". As the tank is cycled I will put most of these in there till they get large enough to sex. Then I will move the ones I want to my other tanks and keep several in the grow out tank and take a stab at breeding them. I have been told and read that they are fairly easy to breed.

So tell me what you think about the setup and my plans. I would love to hear what others have done with grow out tanks and any tips on breeding the plecos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4190.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	11464  

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds like a good idea. I've never tried a grow out nor breeding plecos, but I wish you good luck!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you want to breed brustlenose plecos in this tank, don't put anything permanent. It will be close to impossible to net out the ones you don't want in the tank and their fry in the future when you get lots of plants, rocks or something else in this tank.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinker View Post
If you want to breed brustlenose plecos in this tank, don't put anything permanent. It will be close to impossible to net out the ones you don't want in the tank and their fry in the future when you get lots of plants, rocks or something else in this tank.
LOL, thanks, I hear what you are saying!! No hardscape planned since it will be a grow out tank. The only thing I might consider adding would be a cave for the male plec to hide in and watch over the eggs. I imagine there will be loads of plants but no scape so pulling the plants to get the plecs won't be a issue.

Larry Bugg
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

There is nothing like a freshly set up tank! So many possibilities!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Planted Member

Wish I was permanent enough to set up a grow out tank I like the idea tho

Eheim Pimp #347
aka
The 347 Pimp

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
Great idea on the grow out tank/ placo breeding tank. They are not to bad to breed as far as fish go. But nothing like guppies but your doing that also. Do put some driftwood in there for them that will make them alot more happy. But just set it in there that way you can remove it to take them out.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
awesome idea, i love the spontenuity of this project

but be warned, later on you're going to start scaping this tank, then you'll want another grow out tank, then you'll need a breeding tank for the babies and then so on and on and on. next thing you know you'll be taking out a second mortgage on the house just so you can add that extension to the fishroom that already houses 43 tanks.
its true. it happens to everyone. its an addiction.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Do put some driftwood in there for them that will make them alot more happy. But just set it in there that way you can remove it to take them out.
That's a possibility. I have some driftwood not being used.
Quote:

but be warned, later on you're going to start scaping this tank, then you'll want another grow out tank, then you'll need a breeding tank for the babies and then so on and on and on. next thing you know you'll be taking out a second mortgage on the house just so you can add that extension to the fishroom that already houses 43 tanks.
its true. it happens to everyone. its an addiction.
LOL, this is tank number 8, think I already know about the addiction.

Larry Bugg
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sunday is the day I do a 50% water change and trim on my 2 55's and 26 Bow so here it is with the first trimmings planted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4215.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	11477  

Name:	IMG_4216.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	11478  

Name:	IMG_4217.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	11479  

Larry Bugg
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
sweet! I've always wanted a growout tank, but any growout tank I've ever set up has become a scaped tank... :/

65 gallon low tech planted
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Those are your trimmings? Man, I would love to have enough space/growth to have that kinda of plant stock!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 PM

what a great use of resources. I really need to start doing something with my 2 tanks so they will do well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode