New 55 day 3 questions assurances on how to proceed

55 Gallon
Fluval 406
Eco-complete red [seems different than black]
Driftwood from Craigslist
Java Fern from Craigslist
Well water, with softening system

Day one put in Eco Complete
Day Two , set up canister filter, used some Biomax from one of my tanks and 15 gallons of aquarium water, the rest well water, couple of rocks from other tanks. Only filled 2/3 so I can play with positioning. Yes, after the fact, not putting in any water may have been way easier. It’s too late for regrets.
Questions and Plans.
1. I then purchased some driftwood and a ton of Java Fern on CL. I feel very good about the sources, but thinking about running a UV sterilizer for a bit anyway, before adding fish. Thoughts? I have tied with fishing line the fern to long pieces of rock so that I will be able to rearrange them at will until tank is settled.
2. Eco-complete Has anyone seen a difference with the red? I have two tanks with black and within a couple of days you could clearly see the two different layers, not so with the red
3. When could I add my first fish? If I still feel good about the arrangement will top off the tank today/tomorrow. My plan is to add a couple or more black neons. They seem pretty hardy and I have had them about 3 months. Then start with the 10-20% change outs every other day.
4. general suggestions greatly appreciated.

Fish that I plan to add. [all in other tanks that are doing well]
Peppered corys -6 plus the two babies. Boy was I surprised to find them…so cute. LOVE cory cats
Bristlenose Pleco- should be enough wood to chew on. I have two of these, a small under two inch blonde who is much more outgoing than the 4 inch brown guy. So will probably add the blonde.
Serpae tetras- 5
Neon Tetras -3 want to get more
Black Neons- 5
Not sure what I may add, I move slow….

Bump: forgot, have a Freshwater LED from current, it has a wireless controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55 gal 2.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	417754  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have nothing of benefit to add, just wanted to say that that looks like it is going to be a beautiful tank....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
One thing I would do is use water before it hits the water softener.

I'm on well water also. The nice thing is I can go straight from the hose bib on top of the well casing and fill my tanks. I've even been fortunate enough to be able to fill a tank and add fish right after. I add no chlorine to the well water and don't use a softener. I hate the slimey feel of softened water.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

GraphicGr8s, I can also go straight to well water, but worry about metals. Although I do have pH levels on the 7.5-8 range and that would drop if I went straight to the well. Going to ponder that. thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If the water which is your other tanks now is that same softened water and it
is not causing any problems/w the Tetra etc, then likely it will also work in the new tank.
Most softeners add salt to the water and some fish/plants are sensitive to this.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooRadley View Post
GraphicGr8s, I can also go straight to well water, but worry about metals. Although I do have pH levels on the 7.5-8 range and that would drop if I went straight to the well. Going to ponder that. thanks.
When was the last time your water was analyzed? It's recommended to have well water checked once per year. I am fifteen years overdue. Talking Dept of Health checks.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

GrGr8, can I call you that for short?

we too are well overdue for well water check, probably 20 years or more....really must get to that sometime. Now our tenants on well water, they get that checked and we pay for it. hmmmm. but fish have had no problem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
On metals in the water, you may be getting a bit more worry about it than is needed. Metals that we worry about are "heavy metals". But that is where things get messy as heavy metals are not juts the common metals that are heavy. Different way of thinking for heavy metals that are harmful. I'm not sure there is an exact line but some of the heavy metals are the common lead but others are the pretty rare stuff like chromium.
Of more concern for drinking water is the everyday type pollution. Things that may carry disease or things like creosote or other industrial stuff.
Unless you have a well that has real problems with iron content or such I would look at changing over gradually to straight well water. Fish aren't really good things to judge the health of the water. They live in the tanks when we would die in a week if we were drinking tank water.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
On metals in the water, you may be getting a bit more worry about it than is needed. Metals that we worry about are "heavy metals". But that is where things get messy as heavy metals are not juts the common metals that are heavy. Different way of thinking for heavy metals that are harmful. I'm not sure there is an exact line but some of the heavy metals are the common lead but others are the pretty rare stuff like chromium.
Of more concern for drinking water is the everyday type pollution. Things that may carry disease or things like creosote or other industrial stuff.
Unless you have a well that has real problems with iron content or such I would look at changing over gradually to straight well water. Fish aren't really good things to judge the health of the water. They live in the tanks when we would die in a week if we were drinking tank water.
That's what Glofish were first designed for. The canary in the mine if you will.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooRadley View Post
GrGr8, can I call you that for short?

we too are well overdue for well water check, probably 20 years or more....really must get to that sometime. Now our tenants on well water, they get that checked and we pay for it. hmmmm. but fish have had no problem.
Get it checked. It's not just metals. Like Rich said it's also pesticides, petrochems, etc they check for. A lot will depend on how deep the well is too. I'm at 330' with the casing at 220' And I'm in an underground stream.

Tags
cycling, eco complete, new tank set up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode