Do you have a cover/hood? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Do you have a cover/hood?

Wonder if I really need one?

I doubt my cats would try to jump in. I guess they would only once if they did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The cats will try to reach in and catch the fish when you're not around. The cover also helps keep evaporation at bay and jumpers in. I use AGA glass top for mine also known as Vera top. Also if your light isn't very securely attached the cats will knock it into the water.

75 gallon planted low tech
10 gallon quarantine planted low tech
5 gallon planted (sons) low tech
Plant heavily, fertilize well, stock lightly, change water weekly, and most importantly do not use too much light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jcstank; 01-19-2015 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Added comment
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
To see old responses search the forum. It's been discussed many times here.

But I do use covers whenever possible. The tanks in the fish house are for the most part uncovered right now and the humidity is way too high and mold is a threat. Plus they reduce evaporation and prevent foreign objects from entering the tank.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok, that answers that! thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you have cats, probably best to have one.

Without cats, it depends on the species in your tank. Species prone to jumping (like some kinds of tetras, shrimp, and others) definitely benefit from a lid. If your species aren't prone to jumping, and you don't mind the evaporative loss, I think it looks better without a cover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
That hinge strip down the middle gets in the way of light at times so I get two pieces of glass cut so that they fit on that bottom part of the rim just like the store bought kind.
I gat then a total of three inches short of the full length. On one end is a gap for heater and air line. The other gap is for feeding etc. Two pieces make me feel less like I'm going to break one getting it out/off the tank. Since I have 10g tanks I use 1/8" glass for it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I ordered a perfecto hood, I hope it works ok. I'd worry about the betta jumping out if he ends up in there, I used to have one who was apparently suicidal, but I always managed to find him in time.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find that almost all fish can be spooked to the point that they may jump. It is not in the genes to worry about whether they will come back down in water.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
I ordered a perfecto hood, I hope it works ok. I'd worry about the betta jumping out if he ends up in there, I used to have one who was apparently suicidal, but I always managed to find him in time.
Bettas jump. It's their natural instinct, trying to find the next puddle like they do in the wild. You definitely want a covered tank with a betta.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I find that almost all fish can be spooked to the point that they may jump. It is not in the genes to worry about whether they will come back down in water.
Yes, absolutely, BUT Neons, for instance, spend most of their time near the bottom of the tank, while golden white clouds tend to spend most of the time near the surface (just as two examples). Any wagers on which one you're more likely to find on the floor in the morning, in an uncovered tank?

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

lol, the neons?
ha!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:58 AM
Algae Grower

I kept a top on my tank for years, but I accidentally got a glass top that didn't fit for my latest one. I love being able to look down into the tank properly. Evaporation is a nuisance though.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:43 AM
Planted Member

Our tank goes topless, just the way it should be
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I just put on a Versa glass lid ($24 on Amazon) and I'm happy with it. The fitment is what I expected and it works. So I can't really complain. Looks nice and I am hoping it keeps the evaporation down and keeps things from falling in the tank.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Algae Grower

Glass tops. Helps to cut down on evaporation here in Colorado.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:41 PM
Planted Member

I have cats, so yes, definitely covered with glass lids. My cats aren't so much interested in the fish, but using the aquarium as a point from which to jump onto our entertainment center

David

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode