Suggestions on hiding a weir - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions on hiding a weir

Hi,

I've had the 500l tank in the picture below up and running for about a month now. When the tank arrived I was shocked at the ugliness of the blue weir covering - I guess the tank was designed for marine.

Anyway I'm considering a number of options to disguise it:
1. Buy an aquarium background.
2. Moss wall
3. Continue with growing Vallis up it
4. Allow nature and algae to do the work for me.

3 seems a poor option as the Vallis is not growing so we'll probably due to soft water.

4 doesn't seem to be working because of the snails in the tank.

Will option 2 actually hide the weir or will it end up being very patchy? If so option 1 it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since the backdrop idea will require lots of teardown and you seem okay with that, can I offer another option? I assume it is fastened in and can't be easily removed? I would look at moving the fish/plants out enough to do a quick paintjob on the blue eyesore? Paint is safe once totally dry so that all the volatile (smelly?) stuff is gone.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I'd look for black acrylic and cut a piece to fit below the overflow teeth. Glue down with a couple dabs of gel superglue. It is aquarium safe and works underwater. A matter finish might be better than shiny so it recedes from sight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 PM

Hi sorry but what do you use to do water changes in your tank, I've been thinking of getting a 500l but I have not idea how I'm going to do water changes.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree, if willing to tear down, just paint that sucker.

Otherwise, a black plastic sheet (like acrylic) in front of it would hide it nicely, instantly, with no need to tear down.

I like the moss wall idea a lot, though. Pick up a sheet of black plastic crafting mesh at Michael's or JoAnn's for under a buck, and tie your moss to that. Instant moss wall! It should cover it completely and look quite nice. You'll need to keep the top clear enough that water can still pass into the overflow, of course.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple flamingo View Post
Hi sorry but what do you use to do water changes in your tank, I've been thinking of getting a 500l but I have not idea how I'm going to do water changes.

I have a small pump in the sump that switches on twice a day and pumps out 10 litres or so. There's a float switch in there too that is connected to an ro unit. The conductivity is pretty constant and because the amounts are so small and the ro unit so slowwww there's no issue with temperature or water purity. Once a week I then take out 50 litres the old fashioned way and again pump back remineralised water through the sump. So far it works a treat.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
I agree, if willing to tear down, just paint that sucker.

Otherwise, a black plastic sheet (like acrylic) in front of it would hide it nicely, instantly, with no need to tear down.

I like the moss wall idea a lot, though. Pick up a sheet of black plastic crafting mesh at Michael's or JoAnn's for under a buck, and tie your moss to that. Instant moss wall! It should cover it completely and look quite nice. You'll need to keep the top clear enough that water can still pass into the overflow, of course.

Sorry about delayed response - I was having issues with tapatalk that prevented me from responding.

I still haven't tackled the problem as I've been working to rescape the tank first. However, I have decided on the moss wall route for a number of reasons:
1. The weir is siliconed in so removing it would be tough and messy. I had a look and don't fancy getting it out and back in with the same accuracy or quality.
2. I've had a number of problems with smaller fish swimming through the weir comb and into the weir and then on into the sump. Bloody nightmare this one!

The moss walk will allow me to put a fine plastic mesh in front of the weir comb and thus prevent the fish issue while still hiding the blue cover. I don't think this will restrict water flow into the sump and might mean I end up with less plant debris in there too - cleaning it out of the tank will probably be easier.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
If you keep the mesh away from the overflow's teeth then it works as there is lots of flow through a large piece of mesh. If you put the mesh on the teeth, turn your back and the tank will be overflowing - guess how I know that! Test the mesh before you sew the moss to it to be sure this will work and be sure you can remove the mesh to rinse it out and trim the moss. If you could find black mesh how perfect would that be! Sounds like an elegant solution that will solve two problems.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
That tank is gorgeous, I'd hate for you to have to tear it down... as others said, just cover it up with something like acrylic.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I can't help you but I can say your tank. Is really nice love the Angels btw

My tank journal =).
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Kathyy is right.
If you slow the flow out the tank will overflow.
This and "overfilling" are the only things that go wrong with drilled tanks.
No matter what you use(been there done that with 7 drilled overflows still going)you will need to check and clean/rinse whatever you install weekly atleast if not every 2-3 days .
Anything installed before sump that could impede flow will.
I advise against anything.
I leave some floating plants near my overflows.Figure it keeps small guys out(got no shrimp) and may even help with co2?
There are no other slots like in the middle or bottom?

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post
I can't help you but I can say your tank. Is really nice love the Angels btw

Hi

Thanks. Angels by name, nightmare by nature. They've just started pairing so 9 of them is waaaay too many fish even in the short term. Funny enough the place I got them from has a similar number in a slightly smaller tank and has had no issues. I'm putting this down to me providing better food, better water and a higher temperature rather than me not knowing what I am doing I'm going to start by losing 1 pair that just formed and see how I go from there. Here's a new pic...

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
If you keep the mesh away from the overflow's teeth then it works as there is lots of flow through a large piece of mesh. If you put the mesh on the teeth, turn your back and the tank will be overflowing - guess how I know that! Test the mesh before you sew the moss to it to be sure this will work and be sure you can remove the mesh to rinse it out and trim the moss. If you could find black mesh how perfect would that be! Sounds like an elegant solution that will solve two problems.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. What do you think of keeping the mesh to just below the level of the water? Fish won't be able to get over it but as it will be just below the waterline I won't get an overflow? Or will debris still build up and cause an issue?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
Kathyy is right.

If you slow the flow out the tank will overflow.

This and "overfilling" are the only things that go wrong with drilled tanks.

No matter what you use(been there done that with 7 drilled overflows still going)you will need to check and clean/rinse whatever you install weekly atleast if not every 2-3 days .

Anything installed before sump that could impede flow will.

I advise against anything.

I leave some floating plants near my overflows.Figure it keeps small guys out(got no shrimp) and may even help with co2?

There are no other slots like in the middle or bottom?

I wonder if I just had the moss wall to the front - the weir is clearly just so much more noticeable from the front but to the sides doesn't bother me so much - that should allow for appropriate flow and hide the blue.

I do have frogbit in the tank but the surface movement tends to carry this away from the weir to one end. Maybe once it increases in volume that will stop, though that would require the surface to be 2/3 covered in floating plants!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You might be able to do something with a piece of plastic canvas - I've seen it in black fairly often, and you could probably use it to mount some moss or java ferns or something.

Or maybe a piece of slate tile cut (you can cut it with a hack saw) to size and placed in front of the blue?

Either of these you could probably secure with a dab of epoxy putty.

Anything else that comes to mind would probably require a tank tear-down.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode