Back to Roots Aquafarm? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Back to Roots Aquafarm?

My apologies if this has already been posted recently, but I went back several pages and couldn't find any threads about it.

http://smile.amazon.com/Back-Roots-AquaFarm-Packaging-Vary/dp/B00CN52TRM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1421391884&sr=1-1&keywords=back+to+roots+aqua+farm
Does anybody have any opinions or experience with this? It's a cute idea, but it doesn't seem like it would work well in practice. On the other hand, it seems like most of the negative reviews are just people who don't know how to keep fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've heard that it's cheaply made and roots almost never touch the water. I haven't ever seen many good things about it, only bad.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 09:58 PM

Here's a crosspost of a post on reddit I made about it:

"I received the same or a similar 3g tank for Christmas and I don't know how to feel about it. I can't tell if it's mostly useless or totally useless. The makers seemed to put effort into it but I think aquaponics might be too difficult to package up into a little kit, especially if they claim the tank is self cleaning. I could tell that if I wanted to try and work with the tank to get it planted in the bottom or add supplies like a filter and light, it would be very difficult. At least it's a reasonable size for the fish, not one of those ridiculous betta cubes.."

I remember reading a positive comment (on reddit) about it from a user who rigged up an extra light and a heater and says that while it does need cleaning it's doing pretty well. I wanted to include it for balance but I don't see it anymore. I just see a lot of negativity about the setup. Honestly it seems like while it's cute, your best bet is buying and setting one up on your own. Especially if you have planted tank experience.

As for me, I did ask the person who got it for me to return it, she was very understanding thankfully, and I bought a nice strain of shrimp with the money. I'm a lot happier.

Last edited by lurkerbunny; 01-16-2015 at 09:59 PM. Reason: clarity

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Do not waste your $ most reviews are that the pump fails or is miserably loud, the others are that the seeds are dude or they sprout then die (due to lack of enough nitrogen and other nutrients) then the fish dies from having nothing to consume ammomia. You can set up a riparium or simple aquaponic system yourself for a betta that would work much better look up diy setups. Also as a person presence... I think that aquafaem's tank is very unappealing shape/look and I HATE plastic tanks.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

They are pushing those hard at Costco.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
They are pushing those hard at Costco.
yet and petco/petsmart push 0.2-0.5g cubes and bowls for betta but that doesn't make them good.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not one bit, the sales guy there got confronted by someone who actually does aquaponics and all his answers started with a long ummmm. At least they did manage to get it above three and a half cups of water.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
There's also tons of DIY tanks with this aquaponics idea if you look around, and they actually work... Probably cost about the same for bigger volume, as well.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
There are a bunch of folks here that dangle shower caddies in their tanks. Sheer genius. Look into it. It has much more potential and possibilities than that overpriced item.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I 3d Printed up a aquaponics system that uses a air pump to push water to the top then trickle back down into a aquarium. Have yet to use it but it cost me about 5 bucks total because I had a free air pump. All told its the price of the airpump, a few dollars in filament, and as many 2l soda bottles as you want. 3Dponics is the projects name if anyone is curious.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
I 3d Printed up a aquaponics system that uses a air pump to push water to the top then trickle back down into a aquarium. Have yet to use it but it cost me about 5 bucks total because I had a free air pump. All told its the price of the airpump, a few dollars in filament, and as many 2l soda bottles as you want. 3Dponics is the projects name if anyone is curious.
Hey zerodameaon, I have 3Dponics at home, also 3d printed. It works exactly as you described. Btw, I am using it for tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs like rosemary.

You can see more information on their website or on G+ community https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...04033818784260

It looks like this... (I attach a photo)
Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode