ADA Aquasoil - Amazonia or Malaya? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
ADA Aquasoil - Amazonia or Malaya?

OK, i have a 10 gallon Betta tank that has white sand substrate, CO2, a 20" Finnex Planted +, Dwarf hair grass, and 1 anubias. My Dwarf hairgrass is alive, kinda spreading, but sort of a pale green. (I have DHG in a 55 that is dark green and going nuts in Ecocomplete!) I have been reading that substrate is everything and i really want to try ADA Aquasoil to see if it really is as good as the hype. I have another 55 that is plain old sand substrate and is a possibility for a future re-scape, but I want to experiment on a small tank first.
So, my questions:
1. Should i get the Amazonia or the Malaya? Does it really matter?
2. ADA recommends powersand. Does anyone have experience with this?
3. Is the powersand special worth the extra money over the regular powersand?

thanks in advance

Last edited by dcutl002; 01-15-2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
They swear powersand is super good, but does not look worth it at all. Can do better at nearby hardware store for 1/10th cost, and only big difference is appearance, which is why amazonia is preferred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
im pretty sure the power sand is only like a lava rock that they break up into various sizes and add some type of dirt mixed in with it to. This is just my opinion on what it is because it supposed to help grow bacterial and knowing that lava rock is pores it would be perfect for bacteria to colonies in to keep the substrate healthy. I got a 6 liter bag of the normal and also got 4 9liter bags, 3of the nnormal amazonia and 1of the smaller grain

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

TreyLcham, does it grow plants well? I am especially interested in DHG. I feel like my lighting and CO2 are good. The grass pearls, but it is a pale green like it is lacking nutrients. I use flourish and root tabs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I cant say for my self that it grows plants well since i have not used it yet, but i would think it does after knowing that most of the videos you see on youtube that are with carpeting plants have ada aqua soil. I also ordered the bacter 100. I cant wait to test it out it will be my first ever high tech tank xD
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amazonia has far more nutrients than Malaya, so thats the one to get... Power sand is not necessary, unless you like working with small grain size.

The initial ammonia release means you should water change every other day for first couple of weeks-if not algae issues might arise

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Amazonia-more nutrients, buffer to bout 6.8 without co2 better in my opinion but with plants working with, I'd recommend malaya

vs

Malaya-lower buffer, better for taiwan bees, less nutrient content specially N...For the plants your growing Malaya will be fine. Less ammonia leech so less water changes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
Amazonia-more nutrients, buffer to bout 6.8 without co2 better in my opinion but with plants working with, I'd recommend malaya

vs

Malaya-lower buffer, better for taiwan bees, less nutrient content specially N...For the plants your growing Malaya will be fine. Less ammonia leech so less water changes.

Ah cool. Yeah I am going to replant my DHG, maybe get some seiryu stones, and stock 1 Betta. Hopefully that is not too many fish.
so maybe I will get the Malaya.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode