Adequate Lighting for dwarf hairgrass - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adequate Lighting for dwarf hairgrass

Hi Guys,

First time post. Just wanted to say before I ask my question, great site. It has been a real help.

On to the question:

Is this following lighting setup adequate in encouraging my Dwarf Hairgrass to carpet?

I'm currently running the Fluval LED Aqualife & Plant (P24) in addition to a Aqueon Floramax T8 (24 Inch blub). I'm running them over my 20 gal Long. The LED is approx 1/2" over the glass top and the T8 is sitting directly on top of the fixture. The distance from the substrate to the top is about 8 1/2". Just as a note, I have the LED shining the light at the center of the tank and the T8 in the front directly over the dwarf hairgrass.

Other details:
Using Eco-Complete substrate, DIY Yeast for CO2 (approx .8 bps) and supplementing with API CO2 Booster and Seachem Flourish.

When I first started the current light setup I noticed I more algae growth, which I'm okay with since I have 5 red nose shrimp, 3 nerites snails, and an SAE in the tank (the nerites have a voracious appetite).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
I cant find PAR ratings for the fluval. The T8 ratings depend on what type of bulb you are using (recommend 6k-10k). So I cant say for sure. But I know a lot of people on this forum use the finnex planted + for their 20L and ive seen some amazing tanks with it. But I can say you will probably need a bit more CO2 for the DHG. Also, I believe the API CO2 booster and flourish excel are pretty much the same thing. So no need to use both and most of us around here prefer Seachems products to API.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the reply. Got the fluval at a deep discount before I decided to start up a planted tank. I'll look into getting a finnex fixture. How does the planted+ compare to the ray2 when it comes to plant growth?

The seachem bottle I was referring to is the trace element mixture (i think i got the name wrong).

With regards to the co2. I'll increase the yeast and sugar in the mixture (currently doing 4 cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast, and 1 tsp baking soda), until I save up enough for a pressurized system. What's a good bubble rate I should aim for?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Oh I see. Well you may need to move to EI dosing if you want a really good carpet and using high CO2 and light. Its in the Fertz section of this forum.

The Ray 2 is higher light with less focus on the 630nm "red" light then the planted plus. Since those 20L are so short, it doesnt seem to need the Ray 2 (never tried it). And I just see the planted + with alot of them.

But you may want to browse the tank journals to find some similar setups. Here is a good one from a beginner that is using the planted plus. Tank comes out really nice at the end and probably has some good info for you. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hlight=20l+dhg
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanrift View Post
Thank you for the reply. Got the fluval at a deep discount before I decided to start up a planted tank. I'll look into getting a finnex fixture. How does the planted+ compare to the ray2 when it comes to plant growth?

The seachem bottle I was referring to is the trace element mixture (i think i got the name wrong).

With regards to the co2. I'll increase the yeast and sugar in the mixture (currently doing 4 cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast, and 1 tsp baking soda), until I save up enough for a pressurized system. What's a good bubble rate I should aim for?

Did you get your fluval light at petco? They seem to be on clearance right now, I got one for $45, which I think they retail at $125 normally.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluewolverines4 View Post
Did you get your fluval light at petco? They seem to be on clearance right now, I got one for $45, which I think they retail at $125 normally.
Haha you got me. Picked mine up from petco as well. Although the I wish I took that money and placed towards a light fixture that has more feedback/reviews from hobbyists. Oh well.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
Oh I see. Well you may need to move to EI dosing if you want a really good carpet and using high CO2 and light. Its in the Fertz section of this forum.

The Ray 2 is higher light with less focus on the 630nm "red" light then the planted plus. Since those 20L are so short, it doesnt seem to need the Ray 2 (never tried it). And I just see the planted + with alot of them.

But you may want to browse the tank journals to find some similar setups. Here is a good one from a beginner that is using the planted plus. Tank comes out really nice at the end and probably has some good info for you. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hlight=20l+dhg
Oh I forgot about ei dosing. Read the post a few days ago it. I'll definitely give it a try. A buddy of mine gave me his Hagen bubble ladder earlier today. Hopefully this will help the diffusion of co2 better then my upside down cup.

One of the clumps of DHG is beginning to brown on me , so once payday comes around I'll more then likely bite the bullet and put together a pressurized set.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode