help! lights went out! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
help! lights went out!

So i was doing some tank maint on my 10 gallon and dropped my light hood in the tank. My bulbs went out and no longer work. I have the old incadesent hood with what were 2 10 watt 5500k aquarium bulbs. I replaced them with 2 cfl bulbs that say 14watts daylight with 5000k. Is this too much light or not enough were my old bulbs better. I do 5hours on 4off 5on again throughout the day. I do not do c02 and i had no algea probs with the old bulbs now im scared if these are too strong. Can anyone recommend the best bulbs i can use to have med-high light for my 10 gallon that fit my hood. I do dose an all around micro macro nutrient liquid each week supposedly has everything in it its bloom and grow all in one by microbe-lift. Im using flourite as substrate and tank is overstocked 8 neons 8 rasbora 8 otos. This tanks been setup for years just recently planted it and im worried about the lights now any help is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14211634257201839193205_1421163552625.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	415274  

Name:	1421163563579-709472704_1421163597468.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	415282  

Name:	1421163615479846440135_1421163631900.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	415290  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Doesn't matter where you got them but usually the 13W one are used.
Can't see 1W making any difference.
You might try getting some of the others which you had later to replace these/w.
I occasionally look at Horticulture sites for light fixtures/bulbs and lately they have
switched from 6500K to 5500K bulbs. Not all of them mind you, just a few.
Those who did say it's better for plant growth.
Not in CFL, but regular flourescent bulbs I've used from 3100K to 18,000K and they
all work on plants if plants are mentioned in the advertising on them.
One of the best plant bulbs, the Zoo Med "Flora sun" is 5000K.
But then most say the 6500K is best...so...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are these the regular energy saver-type CFL bulbs that are sold for household appliances? If so, their output should be quite a bit more than two 10W incandescent bulbs.

You might at some point just say goodbye to the old hood and switch to LEDs. A Finnex Stingray in 20 inch is only about 40 dollars, and there are many others in that price range that work beautifully for a 10g tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
Are these the regular energy saver-type CFL bulbs that are sold for household appliances? If so, their output should be quite a bit more than two 10W incandescent bulbs.

You might at some point just say goodbye to the old hood and switch to LEDs. A Finnex Stingray in 20 inch is only about 40 dollars, and there are many others in that price range that work beautifully for a 10g tank.
Wow thats actually cheap... all the lights ive looked at cost 80 and up but im sure theyre really high output stuff. I just want healthy plants enough light to grow without c02. Im gonna look into that fixture. I guess ill keep my cfl energy saver bulbs for now? Yea they are the ones for lamps or your ceiling fan
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, they are supposed to be the equivalent of 60W incandescents then. That's a lot of light even though I am not sure how it compares to aquarium bulbs since regular incandescents and CFLs are so rarely used in the hobby these days. LEDs are great because they provide beautiful light, consume little power, and don't have to be replaced for a long time. Just make sure you raise the fixture a little bit if the light is too intense. In a small tank, it's often not the light's output but the low distance to the tank that causes algae problems. Someone here on the board sells/sold beautiful acrylic raisers for Finnex lights, but you could easily cobble something together yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Medium high light? Without co2? I don't think that's what you want.

The cheaper LED fixtures will probably be just fine. Make sure you don't get something too powerful, else you're going to grow a lot of algae. For low light, low tech (without co2), probably best to keep it under PAR 30 at the substrate depth.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Medium high light? Without co2? I don't think that's what you want.

The cheaper LED fixtures will probably be just fine. Make sure you don't get something too powerful, else you're going to grow a lot of algae. For low light, low tech (without co2), probably best to keep it under PAR 30 at the substrate depth.
I was actually thinking of dosing excell but ive never used it and im not buying a c02 kit for this 10 gallon. Any experience with that? Can i dose it with low light or should i get better lights and dose excell or just keep dosing ferts and keep my lights low-med. Im sure it depends on my plants but i only have anubias crispus crypts amazon sword and some red water lillies.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

As a small bit of info for anybody looking? The Finnex Stingray comes with a couple mounting options included. One is mounts to attach to a canopy over tha tank and the other is a set of plastic legs to mount the light a couple inches above the tank with the legs resting on the ends of the tank.
If shopping for stingray, I suggest to go direct to them as they sell cheaper than found at Amazon, e-Bay, etc. by a couple dollars.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgado4604 View Post
I was actually thinking of dosing excell but ive never used it and im not buying a c02 kit for this 10 gallon. Any experience with that? Can i dose it with low light or should i get better lights and dose excell or just keep dosing ferts and keep my lights low-med. Im sure it depends on my plants but i only have anubias crispus crypts amazon sword and some red water lillies.
As long as you're at least dosing Excel, you can probably get away with anything from Low to Medium light. Stay clear of high light, though... that requires co2, Excel won't be adequate at those levels.

Dosing is easy, just buy the bottle and follow the directions on the label.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode