Crushed Coral to Raise KH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crushed Coral to Raise KH?

I'm very new to planted tanks, especially high tech. Tomorrow (what I think should be) the last of my equipment needs come in for my high tech tank.

My KH is about 2, so I put 4 TBS of crushed coral in a Small bag in my filter, in hopes of raising the KH a bit.

Good idea, or no?

-Complete Noob-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would think it might need to be a bunch more than that to really see the difference. You may see a pretty big bump at the start as there is likely to be dust on the surface which works pretty quick but after that is gone the process slows down. Cichlid breeders who want hard water often do the substrate in crushed coral or limestone.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Coral with raise gh and kh.

kh of 2 is fine in my books. You just don't want it to be 0. That said, I regard a kh of 3-4 to be ideal.

The effect of 4 TBS of crushed coral in a Small bag in the filter, really depends on the size of the tank. I'd say that much is suited to a large tank, 300-400L tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

The CC will work.
You may have better or more controlled results if you use the CC in water you are prepping for the tank(outside of tank).
That way you can test the water before adding to tank and therefore be able to get exact levels you want by mixing with original water to dilute or adding more CC or letting it "soak" longer for still harder water.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Didn't think the coral would impact that much, I'll lower it to 1 TBS.

I have a betta in the tank so I'm worried about a big pH drop when I introduce CO2. Should I be worried?

-Complete Noob-
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtykoala View Post
I'm very new to planted tanks, especially high tech. Tomorrow (what I think should be) the last of my equipment needs come in for my high tech tank.

My KH is about 2, so I put 4 TBS of crushed coral in a Small bag in my filter, in hopes of raising the KH a bit.

Good idea, or no?
Hi Dirtykoala,

If I need to increase my dKH I like to use cuttlebone. It is inexpensive, dissolves much more quickly than cc, and easy to find in the bird section of the local pet shop. Cuttlebone is 85% calcium carbonate...good for shrimp tanks too.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Dirtykoala,

If I need to increase my dKH I like to use cuttlebone. It is inexpensive, dissolves much more quickly than cc, and easy to find in the bird section of the local pet shop. Cuttlebone is 85% calcium carbonate...good for shrimp tanks too.

Thanks!

What about baking soda?

-Complete Noob-
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Dirtykoala,

Baking soda will raise dKH as well although more abruptly; 1 teaspoon will raise 50 gallons 1.0 dKH.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Dirtykoala,

Baking soda will raise dKH as well although more abruptly; 1 teaspoon will raise 50 gallons 1.0 dKH.

50? I thought I had read 5...

-Complete Noob-
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is why you need to do this in five gal bucket so you know how much to use per 5 gal.
Also keep in mind that over time,the coral will get covered with biofilm/dirt/detritus and will become less effective.
May need to clean it or replace it.
I do not know how CO2 affect's KH but it is said that pH change from CO2 is nothing for worry by those who keep all manner of fishes in highly CO2 enriched tanks.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you using ro water or is your tap water come out that low? I like to keep my kh above 3. For me I'm able to add hard water back in to my ro water to get my kh up.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Water View Post
Are you using ro water or is your tap water come out that low? I like to keep my kh above 3. For me I'm able to add hard water back in to my ro water to get my kh up.

Yeah, I use RO and mix in some tap. My tap is terrible, about 17-21 dKH and GH, ~40ppm nitrate pH around 8-8.2.

-Complete Noob-
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When speaking of crushed coral, what size are you speaking of? If the crushing leaves it down to powder, the effects will be much different than the crushed coral I think of which leave it still very much looking like coral.
In your case where you have hard tap water, I would look at using it to adjust rather than coral, etc. Just a much quicker answer to what results will be as well as it will not continue to raise the readings even when you want them to stop.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
When speaking of crushed coral, what size are you speaking of? If the crushing leaves it down to powder, the effects will be much different than the crushed coral I think of which leave it still very much looking like coral.

In your case where you have hard tap water, I would look at using it to adjust rather than coral, etc. Just a much quicker answer to what results will be as well as it will not continue to raise the readings even when you want them to stop.

The CC is about the size of normal aquarium gravel with some small shells mixed in.

I looked at my measuring spoon this morning and what I thought was 1TBS was actually 1/2, so I had 2 TBS in last night and I have 1/2 right now.

dGH- 8-9
dKH 3-4
pH 7.0-7.2

-Complete Noob-
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

So... did the KH come up by 2 degrees in 24 hours? That is pretty good. Not too much change for a fish. I do not think you would want it to get much higher, though. GH is getting up there, too. (what was the GH before adding the coral?)
I would remove the CC at this point and make sure the results are stable.

Use the CC to prep water for a water change. You can use a lot more, and just treat the water for an hour or two, (depends of course on how much you use and how well you can circulate the water).

Fish generally do just fine with pH changes that are related to CO2. The mineral level is not changing. It is the changing mineral levels that they need to adjust to. And this takes time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode