40b vs 2 20L - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
40b vs 2 20L

So I am torn what to go with. The tanks would all be QT to start with until I ramp up fish stock in my 180.

Then be used as holding tank for fry, or extra plants. I thinking towards the 2 20 L, but wanted to see what others think?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yup. If this were your only tank, I'd say 40, but seeing that you already have a very large tank, I'd do two 20s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
do 2 20 longs, that way you can set up two different environments and experiment with ferts/temps/stock/plants/lighting act

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by naich View Post
do 2 20 longs, that way you can set up two different environments and experiment with ferts/temps/stock/plants/lighting act
+1.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So it sounds like 2 20L then is the way to go. That would be the most cost effective way as well, since I already have the heaters, filters, and stands for the 20L.

Thanks everyone
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Doing two twenty longs is a compromise. Do you want to compromise?

Do the two twenty longs and the forty. It's the only way you can truly be happy.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Doing two twenty longs is a compromise. Do you want to compromise?

Do the two twenty longs and the forty. It's the only way you can truly be happy.
If I had it my way yes, but if I were to do that, then I would need a new place to live as wife would throw me out.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I love 40 breeders! But if your talking QT tanks its better to have two separate ones so you can quarantine fish at different times without worrying about re contaminating one QT tank. Nothing worse than quarantining a couple fish for a couple weeks and seeing that one fish you always wanted at the pet store then dropping him in the QT tank and starting the clock over again...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
I love 40 breeders! But if your talking QT tanks its better to have two separate ones so you can quarantine fish at different times without worrying about re contaminating one QT tank. Nothing worse than quarantining a couple fish for a couple weeks and seeing that one fish you always wanted at the pet store then dropping him in the QT tank and starting the clock over again...
Yes for QT tanks, and then for fry, and grow out tanks of plants, always will be in laundry room never on display, as the 180 is my main display tank.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Personally I would do the 40b because they are great dimension for a planted tank. It would be more economical for you to do x2 20L due to your quarantine plans. 20L are great too but there is less room from creating depth in your scape. Also, another thing to consider is time and money. One 40B might be cheaper in the long run depending on what equipment you plan to run while x2 20L might take up more of your time to manage.

There are lots of variables to consider.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
If I had it my way yes, but if I were to do that, then I would need a new place to live as wife would throw me out.
Meh, Try a different approach (check my sig).

I love 40B's but in your case, I would go with the 2 20L's also; simply because it gives you more options. I'm sure you've thought and planned this all out, but consider the different footprints. The 20's will be much longer than the 40B.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
Personally I would do the 40b because they are great dimension for a planted tank. It would be more economical for you to do x2 20L due to your quarantine plans. 20L are great too but there is less room from creating depth in your scape. Also, another thing to consider is time and money. One 40B might be cheaper in the long run depending on what equipment you plan to run while x2 20L might take up more of your time to manage.

There are lots of variables to consider.
Lots of things to consider. I already have lights, filters, gravel and stand made out of 2x4's that will hold 2 20L. If going with the 40, I would need to buy at least some more gravel and stand. In regards to scape, it won't matter as it won't be show at all, since will just be holding fish until they go into my main tank, or holding plants once I get all the fish I want.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Meh, Try a different approach (check my sig).

I love 40B's but in your case, I would go with the 2 20L's also; simply because it gives you more options. I'm sure you've thought and planned this all out, but consider the different footprints. The 20's will be much longer than the 40B.
I think I really want 2 tanks, and that the problem, I just don't have the room for 2 40b, I have the room, but not the height to stack 2 of them. I would only have about 6 inches in between each and that would be a pain. Where as the area I can use for the 2 20L I have about 14 inches between the 2 of them.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hmmm. I agree 6 inches is tight. My smallest clearance is 7+ over the 90G. But there's another 3 inches between the rails of the support for the tanks over it, so it's at around 9 maybe 10 usable inches directly above the water line. Are you measuring 6 inches between the tank rim and the bottom of the front rail of a stand or shelf? Would there be more working room directly above the water?

Wait. I lied. I have 3 29G's under the stand for the 125 that only have 4 1/2 inches between the trim and the bottom of the rail. But the stand is a bit of a beast and there's another 8 inches above the water. It's a bit of a trick to get a specimen container in there, but it works. They were set up to be tanks that I wouldn't be having to dig into very much. Gotta make the best of the space you have.

Angelo

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Hmmm. I agree 6 inches is tight. My smallest clearance is 7+ over the 90G. But there's another 3 inches between the rails of the support for the tanks over it, so it's at around 9 maybe 10 usable inches directly above the water line. Are you measuring 6 inches between the tank rim and the bottom of the front rail of a stand or shelf? Would there be more working room directly above the water?

Wait. I lied. I have 3 29G's under the stand for the 125 that only have 4 1/2 inches between the trim and the bottom of the rail. But the stand is a bit of a beast and there's another 8 inches above the water. It's a bit of a trick to get a specimen container in there, but it works. They were set up to be tanks that I wouldn't be having to dig into very much. Gotta make the best of the space you have.
See the way the room setup the area I have to put the tanks is only 55" tall, because of shelf that cannot be removed that runs in the laundry room.

This is the shelf I was going to buy, if I went with the 40. One 40 would fit with no problems, but no way I could fit 2 40's, might fit would be really tight. Thinking 2 20L, just might be the best option for room. I don't know

Here the link
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...569&highlight=

Last edited by FishStix; 01-13-2015 at 12:30 AM. Reason: .
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What about a 40B on the bottom and a 20L on top?

Where there's a will, there's a way.....to stuff more tanks in any given space.

The problem with those shelf units is that the bottom tank sits about 4 inches off the floor. I have the 4' edition in the fish room as well.

I don't know how you are with tools or if you have access to them, but you should be able to build a simple stand that will give you plenty of room but the bottom tank would sit on the floor on a foam slab.

Angelo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode