Airiation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Airiation

Hi guys,
I've got all the test kits gh, kh, ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, O2, co2( my drop checker)
All my results are fine except my O2 which seems to be a bit low according to the instructions on the kit also my phosphate is 3 ppm
I've ordered API phos zorb to combat this
I do a 30% water change weekly in my planted tank

My question is
To airiate my water at lights out and co2 off time should I add an air pump with air stone or is simply raising my lily pipe to agitate the surface enough
Thanks
Gordon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Why are you trying to drive phosphates down in a planted tank? You do realize plants absolutely need phosphate as a nutrient, right? 3ppm may be a bit on the rich side, but that's not all that high.

As for the aeration, you could go either way.. I would probably just raise your Lilly pipe a bit... Costs nothing. That said, I've never heard of anyone bothering with an O2 test kit in a planted tank before...

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
And you don't need to raise and lower the pipe at every lights on/off, of course. Just position it so that there is always a little surface ripple.

Pimp Club Member #313

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks guys.... More questions to follow no doubt
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just thought I'd throw this out - you might need to adjust your water circulation so it exchanges the poorly oxygenated water on the bottom with the oxygenated water at the top of the tank and avoiding oxygen stratification. This would look like the water going towards the front wall of the tank, down the wall, back across the bottom, and up the back wall like a tube in surfing if you have a spray bar in the back.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode