Hot glue for pleco cave - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Hot glue for pleco cave

I got a pair of plecos and the seller told me they female was full of eggs and that they'd spawn in a few days. I hadn't planned for this and I didn't have any silicon on hand so I made a cave using hot glue. People say hot glue doesn't hold very well under water compared to superglue and silicon yadda yadda, but I'm probably only going to use this for one spawn, it should hold for a couple weeks right? any thoughts? I'll go out and buy silicon tomorrow and make another cave or maybe even make one using pvc. any thoughts?

-Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yeah, hot glue is pretty useless under water but you seem to have a decent understanding of this which is why you want to use superglue or silicone.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Use what you have. If it holds together, great. The male has a cave he can defend, and the pair can use it as often as they want.

If it falls apart, then you will be able to make another. Silicone does not hold well to stone or plastic. I would use aquarium putty or super glue for most materials.

PVC makes nice caves, too.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Superglue works quite well.
Hot glue works okay, it just comes apart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Can you apply the superglue gel underwater?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75g “Skull Island” | 5g Top Fin Engage | 3 gal vase

Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Okay well apparently my male REALLY wants to spawn because he made a huge mess in my tank by digging a cave for himself under one of the rocks. I put in the cave I made with hot glue, it seems fine, not sure if the male will try out the new cave though.

I hear so many mixed responses to this question. Some say use super glue some say use silicon some say use epoxy (epo putty seems to be a great choice). The pieces of slate I'm trying to use are not cut with a dremel or wet saw so they're highly irregular. This makes using silicon and epoxies (there may be 5 minute epoxies that are safe for potable water... dunno haven't looked) not that great of an option because it's difficult to keep the piece in the proper position. So it seems that super glue gel would be a better option for quick projects. Hot glue works as well, but it seems that it has poor adhesive strength underwater. I will report back on how my cave holds up.

If I could cut my slate pieces so that the edges are nice and even, then using silicon or super glue would definitely be better options.

-Neil
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I got aquarium silicone to glue things together.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilshieh View Post
Okay well apparently my male REALLY wants to spawn because he made a huge mess in my tank by digging a cave for himself under one of the rocks. I put in the cave I made with hot glue, it seems fine, not sure if the male will try out the new cave though.

I hear so many mixed responses to this question. Some say use super glue some say use silicon some say use epoxy (epo putty seems to be a great choice). The pieces of slate I'm trying to use are not cut with a dremel or wet saw so they're highly irregular. This makes using silicon and epoxies (there may be 5 minute epoxies that are safe for potable water... dunno haven't looked) not that great of an option because it's difficult to keep the piece in the proper position. So it seems that super glue gel would be a better option for quick projects. Hot glue works as well, but it seems that it has poor adhesive strength underwater. I will report back on how my cave holds up.

If I could cut my slate pieces so that the edges are nice and even, then using silicon or super glue would definitely be better options.
i think there just saying the things that they have used and have worked which prob means that any of the choices will do fine it just depends on what you have handy around the house. I have never tryed this but i would love to use the superglue way because it take very little to go along way but then again epoxy is used on boats so if you use that there is prob a 0% chance of it coming unglued haha so many choice haha
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm personally fond of using epoxy for pretty much everything. It's fairly easy to work with, usually has a pretty quick cure time, is non-toxic, and it sticks to almost everything.

Depending on what you are working with, you could use either the putty sticks or the stuff that comes in a dual syringe.

The silicone and hot glue won't adhere well to some rocks, but if the surface is really rough (like lava rocks) they will probably work. The silicone takes a while to cure though, and it's generally pretty expensive.

I've never had much luck with superglue, aside from using it to glue plants to wood/rocks, but that's just me.

Also, working with slate can be tricky - some of them are "flakier" then others, and even if the glue holds, the rock might just flake apart, leaving a paper-thin layer stuck to the glue.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's a good idea to Not glue the top as it makes it much easier to see if they spawned and to remove eggs if you choose to to a egg tumbler I breed BNP a few times I've always removed eggs as I didn't want all the babies in my main tank the top being able to lift off makes it a very easy process to get to the eggs Good luck keep us updated on how you make out
I've always used silicone but I cut my slate on a wet saw so it's a smooth edge I am working with
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
hot glue would work fine imo, ine one of my tanks that I built a rock "bridge" I actually glued the stones together using a hot glue gun, its been up and running for about 4 months now and is still holding together strong

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I just used 100% silicone on lava rocks and it did not work out well. Just a FYI. I'd suggest epoxy. I've built many things with epoxy and they really withstand the test of time.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't worry if your not ready there a good chance they will spawn every month. So if your not ready this time there always next time.

I would think you could use the epoxy that they make for gluing live rock together.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode