Am I overstocking?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Am I overstocking??

Hi Guys,

I have 20 gallon planted tank and below are the Stocking let me know if I have to cut down or is it ok as it is

Guppies - 5
Neon Tetra - 12
Twin Bar Platy - 2
Mollies - 2
Red Cherry Shrimp - 10

Total - 31

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_031528725_iOS.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	414274  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What is your water change schedule? How good about it are you?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would say your fine as long as you keep up with water changes. If it were me I would make sure I have all male guppies and mollies. It looks like that silver guppy is a female, but I don't own guppies, I'm just going off color and finage. If you have any females you will soon be overstocked as both species are prolific breeders.

If in doubt, add more plants!

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

True but lack of hiding spaces might make it a fry feast and buy some quality time.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Citrus View Post
What is your water change schedule? How good about it are you?
I do 30% to 40% weekly is that ok or should I change the schedule?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Your tank looks very new. How long has it been set up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
Your tank looks very new. How long has it been set up?
Yes its a new tank just 15 days old.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh boy. Adding so many animals to a brand new tank is a huge problem. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

Pimp Club Member #313
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Looks like your using a HOB filter and your planting lightly with no real hiding spots for fish to feel secure. I'd say your over stocked, unless your doing tons of water changes. Even then, your tank isn't cycled yet. Be careful... Read up on nitrogen cycle in an aquarium
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also if you haven't I would encourage Tetra Safe Start (I am hoping you used that initially). It will help protect as it's unlikely your tank cycled for that kind of load in 15 days. You haven't responded so you may know the Nitrogen cycle and did something to prepare the tank, if you did more kudos to you.

If not you need to be very cautious because you are likely flirting with disaster just waiting for something to go wrong.

Anyway, I'd stay up on those water changes and that probably isn't quite enough for your stocking level especially this early on.

I don't think overall your tank is at problem levels assuming you keep up on your minimum changes and do more early on and/or took precautions to make sure your cycle occurred.

I'd be very cautious to make sure your livebearers aren't going to be breeding tons. They can crowd out a tank and no one wants to have to get rid of babies as they occur.

As of now your tank is probably stocked as heavily as you will want it to go. If it gets cycled and is well established you may be able to add a fish or two in the future (No Giants - think no Angels or sharks).

Good luck, it's a nice looking tank. Next order of money spending should be on continuing to buy more and more plants.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Citrus View Post
Also if you haven't I would encourage Tetra Safe Start (I am hoping you used that initially). It will help protect as it's unlikely your tank cycled for that kind of load in 15 days. You haven't responded so you may know the Nitrogen cycle and did something to prepare the tank, if you did more kudos to you.

If not you need to be very cautious because you are likely flirting with disaster just waiting for something to go wrong.

Anyway, I'd stay up on those water changes and that probably isn't quite enough for your stocking level especially this early on.

I don't think overall your tank is at problem levels assuming you keep up on your minimum changes and do more early on and/or took precautions to make sure your cycle occurred.

I'd be very cautious to make sure your livebearers aren't going to be breeding tons. They can crowd out a tank and no one wants to have to get rid of babies as they occur.

As of now your tank is probably stocked as heavily as you will want it to go. If it gets cycled and is well established you may be able to add a fish or two in the future (No Giants - think no Angels or sharks).

Good luck, it's a nice looking tank. Next order of money spending should be on continuing to buy more and more plants.

Hi,

Thanks for the inputs yes I have used tetra safe start and tetra easy balance
hope everything goes well.

and yes I am planing to do more frequent water changes say 20% every 2 days is that ok?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Honestly without testing it's impossible to tell you what is ok

With that stated, with a 20 gallon tank I'd at least do 25% but if you could do 50% twice a week you'd likely be in much better shape.

Good to hear with the safe start, you probably will be ok as that does a real nice job.

Stick with what you have, make your next investments a test kit (At least get Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate - API Freshwater Master is nice) and then continue plant purchasing. You'll quickly fill that tank up and have a nice little setting.

I would tell you as the plant mass increases so will your problems with live bearer over population, so you may want to try to get your live bearer situation handled as well.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Even with water changes, will probably lose some shrimp and fish due to ammonia and nitrite buildup as your tank matures. Water changes are one way to minimize your losses, and another one is to feed very sparingly. As as much as the fish can eat in a minute every other day. You can also get a bunch of fast growing plants to soak up excess nutrients until your tank is more established. Wisteria, Amazon swords, hornwort, or pretty much any floating plant. You can remove them later once your tank is cycled.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Guys,

yes I will start 50% twice a week water changes an will try to get a test kit.

Is it ok if I get the water tested at pet store ( Pet Smart ) can I trust their test results??
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would probably not waste the time. You will see some ammonia, and you will see some nitrite because that's what happens when you set up a new tank. At this point, it's almost irrelevant what the lab tests say. Watch your fish. If they start gasping for air or show other signs that they are struggling, do a large water change.

Still get the test kit, though. It's good to have one for future setups.

Pimp Club Member #313

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode