New 25 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 25 gallon

I believe this is the plant and hardscape I want to go with (may swap rock or cave for driftwood if I find a good piece)

Can anyone suggest some good stock options to go with my plants, which are

Swords
Crypts
Dwarf hair grass
Java fern
Peacock fern
Wysteria
And I'm not sure what back left and front left corner plants are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What are the water parameters?

Go with something that thrives in the GH of your water. Keep it to stock that does not grow longer than 2".

I would think about upper level fish since the tank is so tall, often a single, slightly larger fish, but a school could work, too.
Mid level fish. Some kind of schooling fish. If the fish are a bit smaller, then you can get a bigger school.
and bottom fish. Cories are very common.
I would not select schooling fish for all 3 zones, though. Mix it up.

I think the Sword is too close to the side. It will grow better shaped if it is not crowded against the glass.

A close up picture of the unknown plants could help.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And I just moved the swords about 3 inches to the left

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

and I just got home so I'm testing water right now

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ph- 6.6 amonia .25ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 0ppm and gh is 75 ppm and kh is 80ppm

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

I have the same tank. I went with 8 Celestial Pearl Danios, 7 Pheonix Rasboras, 5 oto cats and 4 Fire Red Cherry Shrimp. The danios and rasboras school together and look beautiful but I would wait till your ammonia is zero, as they are delicate. The bad thing about a 25 gal is that you can have fewer fish than even a 20 long because of the low serface area, so I threw a small sponge filter in the left back corner for extra aeration at night. I run co2 during the day. The good part is that that sword will grow nicely because the tank is tall without being huge. I found that the stock t5's were not sufficient for all my plants, especially the DHG, so I use a couple clip on lights with compact cfl's and everything grows like mad. If you use micro species like I did, it makes the tank look bigger than it is, and you can have more variety. I put a pre filter over the HOB filter intake as well to prevent any fish or shrimp from getting sucked in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1421182383867.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	415370  

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I put a second light fixture on it from my 30g that's a little wide for it but has a extra daylight and "plant growth" bulb on it

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post
I have the same tank. I went with 8 Celestial Pearl Danios, 7 Pheonix Rasboras, 5 oto cats and 4 Fire Red Cherry Shrimp. The danios and rasboras school together and look beautiful but I would wait till your ammonia is zero, as they are delicate. The bad thing about a 25 gal is that you can have fewer fish than even a 20 long because of the low serface area, so I threw a small sponge filter in the left back corner for extra aeration at night. I run co2 during the day. The good part is that that sword will grow nicely because the tank is tall without being huge. I found that the stock t5's were not sufficient for all my plants, especially the DHG, so I use a couple clip on lights with compact cfl's and everything grows like mad. If you use micro species like I did, it makes the tank look bigger than it is, and you can have more variety. I put a pre filter over the HOB filter intake as well to prevent any fish or shrimp from getting sucked in.

That's a great looking tank by the way

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Planted Member

Thanks yours too. I just need to start pruning some now because i got almost all that growth in a month. The DHG will grow like wildfire with that new light.

Obsession is a matter of opinion
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks yours too. I just need to start pruning some now because i got almost all that growth in a month. The DHG will grow like wildfire with that new light.

I have had the hair grass a little over a month, I didn't realize I needed to plug each stem separately at first so I didn't get any growth in my ten, I'm really happy with the crypts and swords though, they grow great with just flourish and tabs for me, I have 20 something crypts now from the 3 I got from a friend a month ago

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Planted Member

Are you running co2? Hair grass will take forever to spead out without co2. Also, my recommendation to use more light might end in excess algae with more light.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Are you running co2? Hair grass will take forever to spead out without co2. Also, my recommendation to use more light might end in excess algae with more light.

I dose excel once a week, flourish 3 times a week, leaf zone 3 times a week and use tabs, no co2 though just the excel substitute

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Mystery plant #1 is Anubias nana. I think I see the rhizome is out of the substrate, that's good. It is apt to rot if under substrate and that would be the end of the plant. It looks great growing on rocks or wood.

Mystery plant #2 looks like Cyperus helferi to me. It is a more difficult plant but looks healthy so keep your fingers crossed. Do replant it a little away from the side of the tank so it looks more natural.

The peacock fern isn't aquatic and won't live long underwater. It is a beautiful terrarium plant though. Perhaps it could grow with its roots in your filter?

If you are using Excel as a carbon source wouldn't it make sense to dose it daily?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Mystery plant #1 is Anubias nana. I think I see the rhizome is out of the substrate, that's good. It is apt to rot if under substrate and that would be the end of the plant. It looks great growing on rocks or wood.

Mystery plant #2 looks like Cyperus helferi to me. It is a more difficult plant but looks healthy so keep your fingers crossed. Do replant it a little away from the side of the tank so it looks more natural.

The peacock fern isn't aquatic and won't live long underwater. It is a beautiful terrarium plant though. Perhaps it could grow with its roots in your filter?

If you are using Excel as a carbon source wouldn't it make sense to dose it daily?

I was just going by the directions on the bottle for excel, should I dose the full recommendation daily or just partial?

And the peacock fern has been removed and potted and growing nicely behind my bar at work, I realized it was no good for submersed growth the second day it was in there

But it would make sense to dose the excel daily now that I think about it
Maybe it really isn't a cheaper option for co2

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:01 AM
Planted Member

Excel is really only cheaper on small tanks. On my 10g, I dose 2ml a day and run co2 on the 25. The 25 will need about 5ml a day. Within a year co2 will have paid for itself if I used it in my 25.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode