How to make flake foods sink - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
How to make flake foods sink

Long story short, don't really want to blow money buying more wafers and sticks for my plecos. I have some really nice fish flakes that do wonders for my fish (like quality stuff) and was wondering if there's anyway to make it sink for feeding. I don't want to just throw in flakes and have to poke/stir so they sink and get all over.

is there a way to gel them? to make pellets?
any advice would be helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 05:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I put the food in a small cup (from a Salifert PO4 test kit) with some aquarium water. Swirl around, then dump in tank. Flakes fall to bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Or you can forgo the cup and just use your hand to dip straight into water instead of sprinkling on the top.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 05:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Let it sit on the surface a bit and just dab it with your finger or whatever you want, it will sink after.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I realize that I can easily make them sink by breaking surface tension or letting them get soggy, but I don't want the mess of it flying all over the tank and fouling up the water by breaking down too fast. I'm looking for a solution so that I can feed it as a sinking mass.

-Neil
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can also moisten them a bit then let them dry... kind of in clumps if that makes sense. then when you toss the clumps in, they sink immediately.

So to clarify, take a good pinch of flakes, dip em in your aquarium water, then plop that pinch somewhere dry and let it air dry. Then toss dried clumps iin.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBrain View Post
You can also moisten them a bit then let them dry... kind of in clumps if that makes sense. then when you toss the clumps in, they sink immediately.

So to clarify, take a good pinch of flakes, dip em in your aquarium water, then plop that pinch somewhere dry and let it air dry. Then toss dried clumps iin.
I have never done this but this is what I was going to suggest with a few minor tweaks.

Get a bunch of your food. Mix it all up with water and make a kind of paste. Set it all out to dry in some sort of container. Once dry chop it into little cubes and serve.

In theory it should work great. Alternatively, look into how people create their own gel foods. You could get some gel and just mix all your flakes in. It would 100% work just a bit more effort. But you could add in extra vitamins and such if you so choose.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find there is a lot of the dust left in the can so I pour it into one until I get enough to be worthwhile. Then I lay out a waxed paper and spread the dust on it. Mist it with a sprayer and it cakes together into usable size and does sink. Just a way to use the last bits but it would seem to solve the problem you have?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm like this wet cube idea. thank you so much guys!

-Neil

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode