Need help asap!!! - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 311
Need help asap!!!

So I was doing my weekly water changes today. Started about noon. I took 50% out and was putting 4 gal back in at a time every ten mins or so. Everything was fine until I came back from working out and had one for sure dead fish and most of the others acting weird and moving slowly. Some at the top of the tank like they are starving for air and some at the bottom just sitting still. My clown was breathing very fast. I use straight tap water with no dechlorinator. Been doing it for two years. Never had a problem. And they were fine all day and now all of a sudden. I checked the water and it was a little higher then normal om nitrites. I also did a wc on my ten gallon with the same water yet that tank is perfectly fine. What do I do here? I put some dechlorinator in there and am going to the store now to get some aquarium gravel.
Jsack12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 12,038
First is don't make any big décor, filter or other changes until you get the fish right again. If they are having breathing trouble, they are on the edge of dying.
It may really be a bit late to try to save them. You have been running on luck for two years and the damage may have finally reached a crisis point of it may be that the past damage combined with a slightly higher chlorine content may have pushed them over the edge. This can result in some fish who are more damaged or more sensitive dying before others.

Or there are also several other things which can cause pretty much the same action and death. It sounds like a classic ammonia or nitrite spike. that could be from chlorine or it could also be from things like poor cleaning and care of the bacteria that do the work.
Water which is suddenly much different than the norm can raise all kinds of trouble.

So we need to know how and what else you have be doing. But to get past the emergency in best order. Do some water changing but do it carefully. Make sure the new water it treated with dechlor of the right amount. If you are treating the new water in the tank, use the correct amount for the whole tank, not just what you are replacing. Make sure the temperature is correct to match what is in the tank. Use a thermometer, not just guessing. You are very close to killing all your fish.
PlantedRich is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
First is don't make any big décor, filter or other changes until you get the fish right again. If they are having breathing trouble, they are on the edge of dying.
It may really be a bit late to try to save them. You have been running on luck for two years and the damage may have finally reached a crisis point of it may be that the past damage combined with a slightly higher chlorine content may have pushed them over the edge. This can result in some fish who are more damaged or more sensitive dying before others.

Or there are also several other things which can cause pretty much the same action and death. It sounds like a classic ammonia or nitrite spike. that could be from chlorine or it could also be from things like poor cleaning and care of the bacteria that do the work.
Water which is suddenly much different than the norm can raise all kinds of trouble.

So we need to know how and what else you have be doing. But to get past the emergency in best order. Do some water changing but do it carefully. Make sure the new water it treated with dechlor of the right amount. If you are treating the new water in the tank, use the correct amount for the whole tank, not just what you are replacing. Make sure the temperature is correct to match what is in the tank. Use a thermometer, not just guessing. You are very close to killing all your fish.
I just added prime and aquarium salt to it. More are dying by the hour. Up to four dead fish. I checked the water and everything seems normal. No chlorine no ammonia no nitrite. Idk what is happening. I guess from here on out I will be for sure using prime in every water change. What should I do now? To get things back to normal.
Jsack12 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: central texas
Posts: 191
Planted Rich is a sharp dude, and is usually correct. Prolonged exposure of chlorine will damage fish gills, making it difficult to breathe. How long it takes depends on how much chlorine is in the water.
The only other thing that causes this is excessive co2. Since you didnt mention plants or co2 injection im assuming this isnt the case
Some diseases can cause this, i think columnaris (sp?) Is one. Its possible they got hit with a lethal disease. To be safe look some up and see if their symptoms match
fish jihad is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:56 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: America
Posts: 237
Just wondering, What temp was the water that you put in the tank? This happened to me. Normally i would take water straight from the hose into the tank. But lately with this cold weather the water from the hose is WAY to cold. The first time i did it i had a few fish die immediately and they all started moving really slow.
Alexp08 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish jihad View Post
Planted Rich is a sharp dude, and is usually correct. Prolonged exposure of chlorine will damage fish gills, making it difficult to breathe. How long it takes depends on how much chlorine is in the water.
The only other thing that causes this is excessive co2. Since you didnt mention plants or co2 injection im assuming this isnt the case
Some diseases can cause this, i think columnaris (sp?) Is one. Its possible they got hit with a lethal disease. To be safe look some up and see if their symptoms match
Actually I do have plants. No co2 injection. Only excel every other day or so. And I did notice that all of the small roots of my Amazon sword are sticking up out of my substrate. Almost like hair. Do I just let this go? Or should I do a small wc or what

Wel I now have two dead neons in my ten gallon so I don't think it's any sort of bacterial disease. It must have been something in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexp08 View Post
Just wondering, What temp was the water that you put in the tank? This happened to me. Normally i would take water straight from the hose into the tank. But lately with this cold weather the water from the hose is WAY to cold. The first time i did it i had a few fish die immediately and they all started moving really slow.
The water definitely wasn't cold or hot. Somewhere in the 60-85 degree range I would say

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-09-2015 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Jsack12 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Outside Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,845
Tap water can vary a lot through the seasons, going from very good to very bad. Also, you do need to match the new water to the temp of your tank, or at least be very close.

A 50% water change at a temp of 60 is a lot different than a 50% water change at a temp of 85. In winter, I can get tap water as cold as 45.

About all you can do now is add the prime, which you have done, and wait this out and hope. Let things come back to normal and consider this a lesson learned.
DaveK is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsack12 View Post
I just added prime and aquarium salt to it.
No one picked up one this. There's no reason at all to add salt to a freshwater planted tank. Where in the world did you get the idea it's a good thing to do?
Steve001 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Richfield, MN
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsack12 View Post
I took 50% out and was putting 4 gal back in at a time every ten mins or so.
I am confused by this. Were you emptying and filling the tank at the same time?
me_in_the_box is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_in_the_box View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsack12 View Post
I took 50% out and was putting 4 gal back in at a time every ten mins or so.
I am confused by this. Were you emptying and filling the tank at the same time?
It was a 50% water change
Jsack12 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Kntry's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Folsom, Louisiana
Posts: 666
Another thing not mentioned.

If you have city water, you should check the chlorine/chloramine level before every water change. Cities will dump huge amounts of chlorine/chloramine into water systems at different times to clean up the water. When this happens, you need to add additional dechlor. Since you don't use dechlor at all, you could have burned their gills.

If possible, call your water company and ask if they added extra or do a water test on your tap water now.

Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected
5 gallon tall cube - CO2 injected

Wish I had an entire room dedicated just for more tanks!
Kntry is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome