How long can fish survive in a bucket? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long can fish survive in a bucket?

Hi guys,

I need to overhaul a tank by adding more ADA Aquasoil, driftwood, and rescaping all the plants. I can anticipate several problems such as increase in ammonia, decrease in ph compounded by degradation in nitrifying bacteria and stunted plant growth for initial several days.

That said, does anybody have a similar experience? How long can I keep my fish in a bucket with heater and filter (Eheim 2217)? I currently have 16 Serpae Tetras and 5 Oto cats (no others).

The tank/filter is only 4-5 weeks weeks old but fully cycled. I added fish several days ago and I'm getting ph of 6 with 0/0/20ppm (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate respectively).

Let me know.

Thanks gang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Spend $15 and go get a big 17/20 gallon Rubbermaid tub, put ur filter and heater in there and keep them in there as long as you want or until your tank is stable.

If in doubt, add more plants!

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
Spend $15 and go get a big 17/20 gallon Rubbermaid tub, put ur filter and heater in there and keep them in there as long as you want or until your tank is stable.
+1
The longest I've ever gone with the fish in a bucket was just shy of three days with them split between two buckets and running heaters and air stones but I would not recommend it. There are all kinds of larger containers suitable for holding the weight of water for significantly less than the cost of a spare tank, which likely wouldn't remain "spare" for long anyway. A new medium-sized trash can would do the job just fine.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yah, I'm keeping my fish currently in a 33 gallon brute rubbermaid that my friend has. Using three eheim 2217's on it but that's because I want to keep them cycled, plus my fish are also larger than yours lol

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
A very long time.

I kept a 3 rasporas and 14ember tetras in a 1g doubled ziplock bag for a week.

I've had Rilli shrimp breed in a ziplock quart bag that I had sitting for about 2 weeks also. =X

Imagine how they ship these poor guys..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Forever.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you can keep up the circulation and the water quality, that will go along way in helping the fish in the bucket. However, it looks like there are quite a few fish for 5 gallons, and the idea of a larger container (15-20 gallons) sounds better if it is going to be more than perhaps overnight.

Wrap the bucket in a thick towel to help conserve the temperature.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Considering how fish are shipped without any water changes or new air, being in a bucket with air circulation, heat and water changes when you do them, it should be a piece of cake.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
you could go to pet co and get a tanks for like nothing with there $1 a gallon sail or you could also try your luck at a good will and get a tank for like nothing there. When ever i go to my grandmas we go to the good will because there is always at least 2 or more that are like dirt cheap!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
When I had ich, I used a 20gallon bucket as quarantine, well, the fish in it survived for 3 weeks. No filter, natural sunlight, and rain water.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode