Plants, Tank, Filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Plants, Tank, Filter

Ok so I have had my tank going and bought some plant's for a person on here. They were great plants.

I used PFS and OCote+ The tank was cloudy for quite a few weeks. I had no idea why. Well i think i know why now.

I went to a pond, that was quite hard to get to, that had a creek running into it. I found this place by accident just wandering around one day in the woods. I also go diving in springs around me. I found some nice plants from about 4" down in the pond to 40+ feet down in the springs.

The all of the plants are doing amazing but the cloudy part began when I put them in after I did the serialization of the plants. It was SUPER cloudy. I thought crap my fish will die but they could not have been happier, or so it looked. The plants were growing really fast and my tape plant grew so fast i had to cut it every 3 days to keep it from stretching across the tank all the way. My tank it a 75gal btw.

Well I tested. Nothing was really out of the ordinary. I use a trickle filter that does an amazing job and have a few snails in it to keep the bottom clean. I have moved some into my 75 as well. Well I started thinking, I did the test on water coming from the filter like a dummy. So I tested at the far end. By this time is was getting less cloudy. I had a an ammonia spike it had looked like and that was the reason for the cloudy water. I only lost one fish, an Angel. The issue was i had bought some clams a few months back before the plants and well 2 out of 3 had died. The sand they burried in was keeping the levels down.

That is until I planted the tank and stirred up the sand. The plants it seems took up a lot of it and that was why they were growing so fast, well a few of them...some were burned but have since recovered. Even water changes everyday of 25% were not helping.

Right now my tank is Clear! Only thing is I have green algae growing on the back of the tank near a light. it looks nice though and the snails LOVE it. It is time for me to cut the tape again and trim the wassertang. I haven't had to do a water change in about 3 weeks so far and levels are all good.

I am planning on buying a house this coming few months and a larger tank is in my future. I think I will go dirt this time as well.

Moral of the story, don't buy clams. Right now I have about 8 corries, green and albino that are breeding(I started with 4, the others are almost grown enough to breed) a 3 generation of ghost shrimp, not sure how they are still breeding but hey what ever, My MTS are growing nicely and my 2 Assassin snails are keeping them in check along with the pond snails, my lonely fantail goldfish/koi thing it fine( it looks like a cross breed), The scuds seem to be doing a fine job, my 2 nitrile snails are doing great.

I want to add a few more fish that are nice and active but is plant safe and look nice. Any ideas? The tank is under stocked I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
There are relatively few fish out there that aren't plant-safe... but you already seem to have one of them in there (goldfish). Beyond goldfish, some of the ciclids and larger plecos can also be pretty plant destructive.

Tetras, barbs and danios, all tend to be plant safe and active fish, if a bit on the small side. However, they tend to school so groups swim together creating the visual impact. Lots of different species in many colors are out there. Watch out for some of the more aggressive members of these families, like tiger barbs or serpae tetra that may bully the tank.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yeah I took some clams out of my local lake and they did fine for a while then died but I caught them before it hurt the tank. After a while all tanks get a build up of waste on top of and under the substrate. I bought corys and they are the best thing to keep the waste turned up in the tank so the filter can catch it. You also may need to use a gravel vaccum to suck up the stuff under the substrate every month or so.

Thats awesome going swimming finding plants! I live near High Rock lake in North Carolina and its mud bottom lake so its always murky and plants dont do good at the bottom of it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
There are relatively few fish out there that aren't plant-safe... but you already seem to have one of them in there (goldfish). Beyond goldfish, some of the ciclids and larger plecos can also be pretty plant destructive.

Tetras, barbs and danios, all tend to be plant safe and active fish, if a bit on the small side. However, they tend to school so groups swim together creating the visual impact. Lots of different species in many colors are out there. Watch out for some of the more aggressive members of these families, like tiger barbs or serpae tetra that may bully the tank.
+1 on serpae tetra. I've gotten lucky with the 5 I have. They only harass for about a day when I get a new fish, but they're relentless while doing so. After the first day or so they go back to fighting amongst themselves. I noticed when I had a bigger gourami in there they didn't bother anyone, not even each other!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Glad I asked cause I was looking at those Serpae tetras, They called them blood tetras but the same thing. Not BloodFIN just blood. I had bloodfin for a bit until the other tank had to be sold. Did well with my Yellow labs and Kenyi. Bad thing is my yellows and the 2 kenyi did some cross breeding and I had about 30 fish in a 55 gal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode