Just Curious: Water Changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Just Curious: Water Changes

I was just curious what most others are doing these days. I have been doing at least 33% water changes once a week for the past year. But when I talk to people in person about this, they look at me like I am crazy. Some of them claim they only perform water changes once a month.

Then I read an article that suggested 10% once a week. But then another article about 10% twice a week.

Am I doing too much? What are others around here doing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Evolve-lution Member:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
I do around 50-60% a week on my 125g.

Edit: it really comes down to your tank and how you dose fertz

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I try to do 50% weekly water changes on all my tanks, I know this is more than is absolutely necessary, so I don't feel bad if I miss a water change for some reason.

I have tanks of all sizes, 2 10 gallons, a 30 gallon, 55 gal, 58 gal, and 75 gallon, and I try to keep them all on this same water change schedule. The more the better in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
I did have a bluegill once that ate cooked pasta and bologna rinds as a treat.
Then again, that fish would probably bite on a cigarette butt.

-Stef*

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Planted Member

It depends on bioload, how many plants you have, filtration, etc.

I do about 60-70% a week. I have a ton of plants and filtration, but also a significant bioload (6 discus and a lot of little fish in a 65 gallon).

I don't understand people only doing 10% or 33% or whatever. As long as you are using some kind of pump/Python, etc., once you're doing the actual water change, 60-70% is no more work than 10%.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
50% to 60 % once a week works well for me and has for last 20 year's.
Filter material cleaned or replaced ,once a month.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Algae Grower

IMO, it isn't how often and how much, but more in keep the water parameters in check, ex. Nitrate levels below 20ppm. Like zach mentioned, it's about the bioload. Every tank is different.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
50% once a month on my low tech tanks and 50% once a week on me ei high tech.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have 24 tanks of varying sizes, needs, bioloads, species, planted an non. The biggest will get 20-30% twice a week, smaller ones at least 50% per week.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Depends for me. Mostly on how much time I have. In my rearing/grow out tanks I try my darndest to do at least 10% every day or every other day. Plant only gets it when I feel like it and most of the time gets the water from the tanks with fish. Regular tanks get a 25-50% every week. The tanks in the family room and kitchen, in other words the display tanks I have, are pretty much neglected although I did revamp 2 of them Sunday.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

I change as much water as possible as often as possible(inkaker).
My fry/juvi tanks almost daily if not,my Dts 50% a week .

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do 70% both my tanks (135g & 75G) every sat. Both are heavily planted and overstocked
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

My current tank gets a 50% water change every week. The last set-up got 50% once every two weeks, but it was lower light and lower ferts.

David

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What is right will depend on why you are changing the water so going by somebody else is not going to do much.
If you are getting a nitrate buildup, then water changing may be needing more. But at the same time, it may be that your filter is stocking too much debris and it needs the cleaning so it produces less nitrate? Got to look at both angles to see which needs to be adjusted.
If you've got too much color, that's only going to be cleared by water changing.
Doing the EI dosing? Likely it works better if you do the recommended weekly 50%.
Doing 10% may help if you feel you've got the time and have special needs fish that do better with small changes. Maybe you have source water that is too cold to do a 50% without shocking the tank.
So ask why and what your tank needs before deciding you are wrong. Maybe what you are doing is spot on, maybe not.
What other people are doing doesn't count-- unless they are changing your water for you!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have 4 tanks going currently. I do my water changes based on each individual tank.

I mainly watch my nitrates

on my 29g I do EI dosing, so I do a water change once the Nitrates reach a certain level. I found if I do weekly changes I get more algae outbreaks and what not. About every 2 weeks and I'm good

55g is a low tech anubias tank with a moderate bio load. I do anywhere from 25-50% changes based on my nitrate reading

my 10g and 8.7g are both dirt substrate betta homes. I do a water change every 2 months if that. Usually just top offs. Last week I saw my first pin holes on my hygro. 8 months or so with no ferts. I can't really complain.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Water Changes

Hello Def...

Here's the skinny on water changes: Water that runs continuously through a filter changes. Needed minerals are removed and dissolved fish and plant wastes are added. The filtration system isn't designed to remove much of the waste. The longer the water stays in the tank, the less it's able to support life. To maintain prime water conditions for the fish and plants, you need to remove and replace a lot of it regularly. Large, weekly water changes replace minerals and remove dissolved wastes. The wastes left in the tank are diluted to a very safe level in all the new, treated tap water. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the better the water conditions for whatever lives in it.

Pretty simple.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode