New to planting.10g. How's this plan? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planting.10g. How's this plan?

Eco complete for substrate or just gravel? Suggestion??
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...r-package.html for ferts????

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquar...t-p/56543p.htm is my lighting. Is it high? Low? Will I need co2? Any information is awesome. Also how would i set up? Plant plants put water in and wait to fert? Wait to add fish? How is that done?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like EC, but find it a bit expensive. I have used gravel from landscapes stores, and I like the fine ones, about 1/4" or so. Coarser is not much good.

I use a lot of montmorillonite clays. This is a baked clay product that holds the nutrients really well. It has high cationic exchange capacity. I have used several. Currently I am using Safe-T-Sorb.

Ferts:
The only reason to use magnesium sulfate is if your tap water is low in magnesium. Most tap water is not. If the GH of your water is under about 3 degrees, then you should use a complete GH booster.
GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium. Plants use about 4 times as much calcium as magnesium. Makes no sense to supplement the one that is used the least.

Do you need dispenser bottles? They look like good ones. I have used that sort of squeeze and measure sort for other things. Don't much like them. But that is just me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I wouldn't even know how much to fert as I'm new to this. Can anyone like a fert kit? And is that light considered high lighting for 10g? Should I just buy clamp on lights?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is the 30$" kit nice for ferts? Does it have everything ill need?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Help will I need co2 with this light?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You may need to suspend the light so you can raise it. It may be in the high range.
I don't know if anyone on here has a PAR reading on it.
Putting the light on a timer and reducing the hrs to about 6 to start/w is almost the same as suspending it. Walmart has timers for $8.
You will need a digital scale to use for the ferts in order to use the correct amount to use in the bottles. They are on e-bay for whatever price you want. I paid $9 for mine.
Or...you can buy solution packs already made in the correct amount of each nutrient from here. Not trying to confuse things but this person has either the EI or the PPS Pro in "kits"/w the bottles and he supplies(and sells separately) the packages of ferts to go/w them.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=781170
He also sells an already made up liquid version of the EI ferts.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode