My first dirted tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first dirted tank!

So I set up this 40g breeder about a week and a half ago and this is how it looks so far! Currently going through a fish less cycle.
I'm using Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix, Eco Complete as a cap, and have chunks of red clay mixed in. Currently running two 39W T5 bulbs (6000k and roseate) in an AquaticLife fixture.
I have Red and Green Cabomba in the background, Telanthera Alternanthera, Barclaya longifolia, Brazilian Pennywort in the midground, and Baby Tears in the foreground.
I've been doing 50% water changes every other day and giving it 8 hours (turns on 4 hours, then off 4, then on 4 again) of light a day. Dosing with Flourish Excel and Prime.
As of right now everything seems to be going well. The Cabomba are growing roots on their sides, and the Telanthera is showing really good color. Along with minor growth on the other plants.
The only question I have is that my water seems to have a green tint to it. What could that be? Any advice would be awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1419147706551.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	406018  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'd imagine the green tint to the water is green water algae, as it looks like there isn't nearly enough plants to soak up all the nutrients from that soil. Generally you want to heavily plant a dirted tank off the bat, including using floating plants to soak up all that excess nutrients at least until the rest of the plants fill in, in order to prevent algae blooms.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I second the need for more plants it will save you alot of headaches in the long run even floating plants in the beginning help alot to take up extra nutrients

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's what I was thinking it might be. Thanks guys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Someone on here has Salvinia in a RAOK.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...74#post7133874
The roots are still short, but it has larger leaves than duckweed so it's much easier to remove as much as you want.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Planted Member

Nice thank. Best of luck with the dirt. I am getting a 30g in a week and going to set up as dirted too. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You are free to do repeated export water changes just don't kick up the soil

It will not harm your cycle and it w stop the tint

Filter through low micron filter canister filter, carbon, all effective and independent of the cycle

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode