Almost Chickened Out - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Almost Chickened Out

I purchased a 90 gallon tank off craigslist a while ago and it was not the best deal I've ever made. But, as a learning experience, it's been great. Anyway, I removed the old, failing silicone and resealed it. I actually did a pretty decent job for a first time but I can say it's not quite as easy as it looks on youtube! I only scuzzed one spot so I don't feel too bad about it. After letting the new silicone cure for 48 hours I found that I was almost too darn chicken to put water in it, though. Finally, I sucked it up and filled it with water and, yippeeeeee! No leaks. Now it's on to building and planting - the fun stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Nice job! On my first silicone job it took me three tries. I was to anxious to fill with water. The build is my favorite part. Have fun.....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Did you use masking tape? It makes a cleaner job. More time consuming though. I don't think anyone has gotten it perfect their first time. I didn't. I didn't like some of the seams so I let it dry overnight so that I could peel up the silicone a little easier. Retaped it and resealed it. I nailed it the second time though. It just takes practice. If a craigslisting tank had perfect glass but the seams were shot, I'd take it as well. The seams can be redone. The plus to that is that you will know the exact conditions of the silicone if you do it. Most people will sell leaky tanks or bad silicone tanks much cheaper because they don't want to deal with it.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you do it again start on the bottom because there good chance nobody will see those joints and it a good place to practice. But congratulation on the nerve to try. I was in the same situation with 110 gallon bought used.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Algae Grower

How do you tell if silicone is failing?
My 60 gallon is an old tank. It's only spent the last 2-3 years as an aquarium. Before it held a tank. But I get nervous about it.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie1 View Post
My 60 gallon is an old tank. It's only spent the last 2-3 years as an aquarium. Before it held a tank. But I get nervous about it.
One is the obvious. Fill it and check for leaks. Otherwise when the tank is empty just look for wear and tear. Visit a LFS and observe the silicone job. Its a bead of fairly fresh clear silicone. Looks like harden Vaseline by eye. Old silicone won't look as fresh. Typically silicone will last for many years but a day will come when it can't take anymore. My 55g that I had lasted about 11-12 years on the original factory silicone job before I had to reseal it. Each tank will be different though.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie1 View Post
I could tell that the silicone was loose on some of the joints and a much lighter color than the places where the silicone wasn't yet failing. I didn't bother testing it with water and maybe it would have held but I figured since it was dry I would just go ahead and reseal it. I'm glad I did.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
Did you use masking tape? It makes a cleaner job. More time consuming though. I don't think anyone has gotten it perfect their first time. I didn't. I didn't like some of the seams so I let it dry overnight so that I could peel up the silicone a little easier. Retaped it and resealed it. I nailed it the second time though. It just takes practice. If a craigslisting tank had perfect glass but the seams were shot, I'd take it as well. The seams can be redone. The plus to that is that you will know the exact conditions of the silicone if you do it. Most people will sell leaky tanks or bad silicone tanks much cheaper because they don't want to deal with it.
I did use masking tape but I didn't have the tape quite as straight and even as I thought I did. It's close enough, though, that most people looking at it will never know. And I'm sure the critters and vegetation won't care.

The glass is not perfect and now that I've seen it closer I can tell that it has some scratching. Again, it's not really noticeable unless you're really looking but now I have a far better idea of what to look for in a used tank. I'm going to enjoy this one a lot and that's really what it's all about so no worries...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode