CO2 / air / ro_di water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
CO2 / air / ro_di water

Hello TPT ,

I have kept fresh water tanks for years, honestly never much past basic though, I have kept low tech planted tanks in the past. I read threw your post and often find myself overwhelmed in the technical / mathematical aspect a lot of you bring to the table.

I recently moved and and in the process of setting up my 90 gallon tank again and decided to make some significant upgrades as my Christmas present this year.

I am though having a couple of issues.

1) the tap water here is complete and total trash !! usually in under two days it will turn horrible shades of green and starts off right out of the tap discolored as it is.

This is not actually the problem ...

as part of the upgrades I installed a direct water line and drain behind the tank. (NO MORE BUCKETS FOR ME ) with the water being such and issue I added a RO/DI unit under the tank. I also added a Coralife 12X 36w Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer. I know that unit is a bit of over kill for a 90g tank but I am thinking about going to a larger tank in the future so as i build i have been building with that in mind.

I also upgraded my filtration to a Fluval Fx6 Canister Filter.

and added a pressurized CO2 system.

and ordered a BML Dutch Planted 6300K - XB Series light

OK now i feel more like i am bragging but honestly just trying to describe the system...

As I stated before i know the basics ... I have used RO/DI water before ... but before i was making the water into a drum and pumping it into buckets when i needed it and then into the tank. so it had time to sit and re-oxygenate and i never had a problem I never added and other chems to the water other than basics ferts and i had a low tech sugar and yeast system providing some co2 and was always very happy with my tank.

Now i am set up to drip the ro/di water directly in to the tank at a rate of between 3-4 gph at that rate there is not temperature spikes as I also upgraded the heater to :

JBJ 1000-watt True Temp Titanium Heating System

with the slow drip it can keep the temp stable with no problem

I have been reading though, that adding ro/di water directly to the tank can cause oxygen issues even potentially killing my fish or so said some of the post i read.

I was wondering if I had the co2 shut off during these water changes and added a bubble stone just during the refill process if that would add enough O2 to the tank as to not stress the fish out or kill them and once the tank had refilled turn the O2 off and the CO2 back on if that would be sufficient.

actually I think i will stop with just this question today

also I normally use little to no additives or chemicals other then basic ferts I began set up about 3 months ago and did the slow patient process of cycling the tank with small water changes every couple of days until the water was right. I don't use quick start additives etc.

Thanks to the community for your input in advance. I look forward to your help.

Brent B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you can set up the RO/DI water to enter the tank by flowing over something that exposes it to the air then any gas exchange it needs to do can happen.

Example:
Perhaps the Hagen CO2 ladder? Could you get the water to flow down that?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Whole House Sediment filter, Carbon block filter $50-60

Hi,

In addition to what Diana said, go to your local big box store and get whole house filters, at least a single sediment/carbon filter, will clean up the tap water quite a bit and make your RODI filters more efficient (last longer).

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
If you can set up the RO/DI water to enter the tank by flowing over something that exposes it to the air then any gas exchange it needs to do can happen.

Example:
Perhaps the Hagen CO2 ladder? Could you get the water to flow down that?
I don't know if i can make that ladder work with out making a mess but i am wondering if i can find a high pressure hose connector that i could connect to a faucet aerator to achieve the same effect I will look into it thank you for your thoughts

Brent

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoun View Post
Hi,

In addition to what Diana said, go to your local big box store and get whole house filters, at least a single sediment/carbon filter, will clean up the tap water quite a bit and make your RODI filters more efficient (last longer).

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB
that is a great idea I am looking at one from amazon as i type this.

Brent

Bump: I am still wondering if we are over thinking this and just running a little air threw a bubble stone as i refill wouldn't do the same thing?

any thoughts ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Bubblers work by increasing the surface movement of the water, and by encouraging more water circulation.
Water that is low in the tank, next to the bubbler rises with the bubbles.

I am not sure if this is actually the best way to aerate the water you are adding to the tank. I would think you want to make the water right before adding it to the tank, not wait until it is in the tank to fix it.

Could you run the RO/DI water into a barrel, aerate it there (bubbler is perfect for this) then use the treated water to fill the tank?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Bubblers work by increasing the surface movement of the water, and by encouraging more water circulation.
Water that is low in the tank, next to the bubbler rises with the bubbles.

I am not sure if this is actually the best way to aerate the water you are adding to the tank. I would think you want to make the water right before adding it to the tank, not wait until it is in the tank to fix it.

Could you run the RO/DI water into a barrel, aerate it there (bubbler is perfect for this) then use the treated water to fill the tank?
Yes and No my water source and RO/DI system is tucked under my tank and no room to do a storage tank but that then brings us back to the possibility of finding a way to aerate it before it enters the tank. I have not found the item i want specifically yet but found a picture of a faucet adapter that may work.

Last edited by BrentB; 12-19-2014 at 03:34 AM. Reason: added pic
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Give it a try!

Another idea: If you can add it to the tank in a way that it sheets across the top of the water then it is exposed to the air while it is mixing with the tank water. Maybe add it right next to the filter outlet? And angle the tubing you use to introduce the RO so it is released in the right direction.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode