Looking for advice or insight on new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for advice or insight on new tank

Hey guys,

Completely new to the hobby! I was inspired by a beautiful tank I saw on reddit a while back and have been lurking a while since trying to absorb as much as I can.

Hoping that I am finally ready, here's what I have collected so far:

Hardware:
46g bowfront
Ada amazonia
Fluval 306
10lb co2 with diy 2 stage regulator, solenoid, nv-55 needle valve
Diy inline reactor
Fertilizers - macros and micros dry picked up from a hydro store.

Still to pick up/build:
Inline heater 200w? 300w?
DIY led lights (14- xml2 cw + ww, 3 ocw) (ordered from ledgroupbuy)
Controller for lights, co2, heater, ferts (ideally on network, pi or arduino, seen some awesome projects on here).
Drop checker
Bubble counter
Fertilizer dosing pumps

I'd like to have a carpet, since that is what inspired me to pick up the hobby, so I picked up some hc Cuba that I'm tissue culturing in a dozen or so jars to grow out to fill in the tank once the LEDs arrive and I can assemble them. Also have some alternanthera and rotala growing out.

As for my water, I know I have hard water here, and have a NaCl softener in place but can access the unsoftened water. Have not tested either yet, but have been reading various opinions on softened water... Unsure what to do here yet. Waiting on my GH and kh kit to come in, already have the api master kit,

Any suggestions for other plants?

Anything I'm missing or overlooking?

Am I almost ready?

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141212_231616.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	405058  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141217_204358.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	405066  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good, I can't wait to see the final result! Here is an article on starting a tank for your reading pleasure: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! Will definitely give that a read.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
While you are waiting for your HC to grow and work on your lighting study up on iwagumi. It isn't easy!

Not sure HC without CO2 is really possible for a first time scaper.

Another way to go is with 'dry start'. Advantages are you use fewer expensive plants, are growing out your plants without possibility of algae and they won't be floating every morning. There are disadvantages as well. You would need to be set on your iwagumi design now and lots of people have bad luck because they keep the tank too humid. Here is the original article by Tom Barr http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...nted-Aquariums

Here is one article on the subject of iwagumi. http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com...s-introduction and a more general aquascaping thread from this forum.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=180044

Iwagumi enthusiasts here love to critique layouts and I see lots of great hints given so please take photos of some of your favorite ones and post on the forum. I am certainly no expert but suggest placing some of your stones so they appear as larger ones rather than having them all separated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

28 Lakeside, Hobbiton
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Good luck, its a difficult task to do as an experienced plant grower, as a newbie I would suggest starting with growing something easier and get the tank established. otherwise i see algae issues in the very near feature.

either way good luck.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
+1 for philipraposo1982
Alternanthera will be on top of the list of plants which get it also. Rotala can help this from happening if in sufficient amounts more than the alternanthera. Say like 20/1 or higher.
Did notice one missing item. Tanks that are deep like yours usually have some type of water pump to circulate the water better and often have a spray bar on the filter "in" line.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Kathy for the extra reading material, will have a look for sure. I have read up a bit on the dry start method and may use that between the tissue culture and flooding the tank. I can multiply the plants quite fast in tc while waiting for the rest of the hardware to come in.

Phil and Raymond, sounds I'm in for an uphill climb, especially trying this on my first tank. Im sure I'll learn a few things along the way, and still have a ton to read up on. Either way, glad I found this place! I will look into the spray bar, did not come across that one yet, thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Look through the gallery. You will come across at least a few examples of them and the
powerheads/wavemakers in use in some of those tanks.
There are many types. This is only an example.
http://www.petmountain.com/category/...owerheads.html
In tall tanks it is often found that the CO2 doesn't get circulated down to the bottom as it could be/w more current. Not a run right out and get one type of thing.
Just an "in case you find it needs it"...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode