Filter Sock cleaning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Filter Sock cleaning

For those of you with sumps using filter socks, what do you find works best to clean the socks? Certain chemicals, washer, bucket?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 11:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
rinse it like you do a sponge. squeeze, and then brush off the outside and inside.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish_AE92_Racer View Post
rinse it like you do a sponge. squeeze, and then brush off the outside and inside.
I don't think its that easy. They get fairly dirty and clogged. They are as fine as filter floss and there is no way you can clean filter floss like that.

I once read over on reef central and seen several guys on youtube just bleach soak for a day. Spray hose them clean and dechlorinate or soak in prime for another day. Most also have 2-3 sets of socks so that once they pull a set, they replace it with one from the rotation. This way you never have to hold up your filtration due to cleaning and you will have backups. I have a few socks but I haven't incorporated them into anything yet. Once you get over 200 microns though, your asking for constant cleaning.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't use filter socks but do use felt on drip tray. I use them for a week and then drop them in bucket with bleach for about 5 days and run then thru the washing machine. Then they sit for about two weeks before using them again. I have been using the same 6 pads now for a year and half. As far as how strong of mix for bleach I would say I'm at 20% bleach 80% water.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post

I once read over on reef central and seen several guys on youtube just bleach soak for a day. Spray hose them clean and dechlorinate or soak in prime for another day. Most also have 2-3 sets of socks so that once they pull a set, they replace it with one from the rotation. This way you never have to hold up your filtration due to cleaning and you will have backups. I have a few socks but I haven't incorporated them into anything yet. Once you get over 200 microns though, your asking for constant cleaning.
This pretty much describes it. When clogged, they become nitrate factories unless you're religious about cleaning them. Also, the finer materials can clog so fast that they'll essentially become a capped line and just overflow. I've even heard of folks putting them in the dishwasher and pulling them before the dry cycle. Bleaching certainly works as mentioned, but surfactants are in even the cheapest of bleaches now. So while it's still certainly bleach, a few more rinses should be part of the routine.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. I have been doing a change every 4 days, I have 3 of them in my sump, and I bought a bulk case of 100 online, but I am about half way used up, so I figured I better start to get the first group cleaned and ready to go again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
Thanks for the update. I have been doing a change every 4 days, I have 3 of them in my sump, and I bought a bulk case of 100 online, but I am about half way used up, so I figured I better start to get the first group cleaned and ready to go again.
100! Gesh you were on it, lol. I hope you got a great deal on them. Individual, they aren't exactly cheap in my book. Do you have several tanks to use these in or did you buy that many because you thought they were meant to be disposable.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31

Builds -

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
100! Gesh you were on it, lol. I hope you got a great deal on them. Individual, they aren't exactly cheap in my book. Do you have several tanks to use these in or did you buy that many because you thought they were meant to be disposable.
ha, no did not think they were disposable, i got that from McMaster-Carr, I had a credit with them on some other stuff I returned, so I figured I should use it up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well that explains it, lol. That's a life time supply for one person. Have you considered selling any off?

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31

Builds -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode