Am I ready? (55 Gallon Hi-Tech) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Am I ready? (55 Gallon Hi-Tech)

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time posting;

I have since decided to move on from my VERY low tech 30 gallon tank to a hi-tech 55 gallon and I was looking for some advice.

I have little experience with planted tanks and this forum has helped me greatly in my research, albeit I am still rather nervous on setting everything up right and to make sure I don't flush whatever money I spend on my plants down the toilet.

I was looking for some guidance in making sure I am going in the right direction before I break ground. Here is my current setup:

Tank:
55 Gallon tank
4x54w T5H0 Bulbs (still deciding whether to run 2, 3 or 4 bulbs at once - total watts is 216w, 5" above aquarium)
5lbs Pressurized CO2 tank
Aquatek Regulator w/ Solenoid (came with bubble counter and CO2 tubing)
Inline Up Aqua atomizer OR Ista Max Mis reactor (I got both so I have a backup)
Eheim 2217 Filter (along with x2 AC 50's I will use from my old tank to speed up cycling)
4 dKh Solution
Drop Checker
API Freshwater Test kit
x6 Flourite Black Sand bags

Dry fertilizers/dosing:
1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
Micronutrients +B 3x a week (Canada does not have Magnesium added to this mix, not sure if this will be a problem -should I get MgSO4?)
Root tabs

Water tap parameters:
KH: 6 (107.4 ppm)
GH: 9 (161.1 ppm)
PH: 7.4

From my research, it is to my understanding that I should try to cover at least 50% of my substrate in plants from the get go. I understand that some plants will not survive in the short run but I would possibly like to avoid any potential disasters and lose all my plants within a few days!

Please go easy on me as I am still learning any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Hi Eddie, welcome to the Planted Tank. Sounds like you have got things worked out pretty well, so don't fear losing plants. They're aquatic weeds.

I would start off with just two of the bulbs running. Add more when things have stabilized after two months or longer.

I would avoid the Up atomizer. They are not built to last, and having that thing inline is a risky gamble. If something breaks there, it could drain your entire tank in minutes.

I would cut back on the nutrients during the first couple of weeks, but that's just me, others like to start dosing full strength from the beginning. I feel that the unavoidable algae cycles are less severe if nutrients are not in too much excess. Again, just applies to the first few weeks until plant growth it clearly going well.

With regards to magnesium, check your local water report (if you have access to that), if your water has a fairly balanced Ca/Mg ratio (2:1 or so), I would not worry. But you can always buy a bit of Epsom salt and see if it makes a difference.

Yeah... you are ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

Up atomizer will last, depends on the user. I have mine for 2 years now.

Good luck on your tank. I advice that you get SAE, NERITE and AMANO. The algae team lol.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
I would avoid the Up atomizer. They are not built to last, and having that thing inline is a risky gamble. If something breaks there, it could drain your entire tank in minutes.
That is one of my fears that it will start leaking all over my apartment while I'm at work! Thanks for all the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujinfaye View Post
Up atomizer will last, depends on the user. I have mine for 2 years now.

Good luck on your tank. I advice that you get SAE, NERITE and AMANO. The algae team lol.
Any problems with leaking or shattering?
I wasn't planning on having any algae eaters but perhaps I should get some Nerite snails!

Can't wait to get going, just waiting for a couple more things in the mail.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
While others say k from so4 isn't necessary to dose, I find that I need to dose less kno3 and more S04 in order to get more K potassium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode