Family members! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Family members!

Just a funish thread to see if your family members are like mine and do annoying things to your tanks! Mine feel as though its necessary to tap the glass every time I show them something new or they come over to it, it really bugs me! Any of you got any little rants about your family/friends and your tanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
No one in my household could care less about my tanks. I guess I should be thankful.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Not a rant. The opposite:
My (adult) kids are not very interested in the tanks, but are willing to help, and are interested enough to chat with me about them.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Planted Member

Anytime I show my wife awesome growth and greenery I have after getting past some huge problem I get to hear "your plastic plants looked fine" or "you never had that problem before you bought all this stuff"...

I start getting some nice reds on a few plants and I get all excited and tell the tale and I hear "it looked better before, it just looks dead now". lol

or "Why are you trying to grow grass in the tank when we have plenty outside"? Well, its not grass, its actually (whatever carpet plant)... "Looks like grass..."

It's ok, she will admit - she just doesn't get it.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Planted Member

My wife is generally interested, but I think she likes fish more than plants. She is overall receptive to the hobby and likes that we have a nice, clean aquarium for the living room.

The cats don't seem too care much, except that it's a stepping stone to get on top of the entertainment center.

David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Oase Biomaster 600
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
No rant, but happiness.
No one touches anything as far as I know. I have 2 betta tanks by the front door and when family visits they admit to saying hi and watching the betta but no tapping or scaring them.
My husband is very supportive and doesn't undrstand everything (there is so much with these planted tanks I still don't understand!) but he likes to listen, offers help (which I usually don't take simply because as long as it would take to explain the task I could get it done), and enjoys seeing progress with fish and plants. I actually set up a tank for him on his desk and maintain it but let him pick stock (with guidence). He gets a more front seem look at natural tank evolution/goins on (seen a few fish death and a plant melt disaster). He's my calm half to help let me talk through tank issues when I'm freaking out or unsure what route to go. He's also very much an anabaler and encourages me to expand/try [that new thing/plant/tank] but I'm a cheap arse and will try not to go over board... Though I went from 2 to 7 planted fish in tanks (his included) since April (plus a at tank, plant dump tank, and 2 less than 1g plant only picos).... I still want more! And to try co2 but I'm scared to >.>

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My family show an interest which is nice but I also get accused of needing fish (I have a shrimp tank). The most annoying one is when my dad says my co2 is spewing all over and I'm putting too much in and I should turn it down, I of course respectfully ignore him (;
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How about 4 year old and his little friends running around then looking at the tank, I don't have fish yet, and think they need to put dirty little hands all over the glass. If that not bad enough, friends and family do the same. I need to print out a sign, don't touch the glass, wonder how they would like it if I rub my hands all over front windows or doors. It just annoy me :-) Don't TOUCH the GLASS
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My girlfriend was angry I got my first tank because it was too big (20G), constant complaints about it being in the way etc. Now she just had to one up me by getting a 55 gallon to put a mudskipper in and now she is receptive to all of it and even found me a Oceanic 55g that will dominate even more wall space soon.

The cats on the other hand, well they sit and watch, and my cat has only once put his paw in the water when I was not looking, it was his last time I am sure. The most annoying thing is they eat the fish food, and it is not just the algae wafer bags being opened, they come running when they hear the top of the flakes spin off.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Algae Grower

I can rant on this topic for a while, to sum it up my wife taps on the glass to annoy me ( but still show interest in what i do) my 6 year old and wife both think they should take it upon themselves to feed the fish( she accidently dumped a brand new container or flakes in the tank) my 1.5 year old hits the glass and gets his dirty hands all over the tank and "kisses the fishys" and gets snot all over the glass. My dog is to big and likes nudging the tank and getting his snot on the glass and my wifes cat likes climing up top and playing in the water/ drinking it. Its a daily routine to have to clean the glass on my tanks lol
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

i guess ive had a good experience, as a kid my parents supported it.

now my roommates come into my room to study cuz the water is peaceful, and one actually got a tank and goes to my lfs all the time with me to talk about new strategies, plants, fish, everything
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I come from a long line of aquarium keepers. My dad was freshwater and his brother got into salt. My family loves the tanks. I struggled with the wife a bit. She is an accountant, and her creativity struggles. Shes great with numbers. If your wife is the same. When you have problems, such as algae. Show them the science side of it. She got interested in the my dosing and helped get my numbers in line when I was making my own solutions for the first time. I asked for help with my algae. Showed her what I needed to do. We then did it together. She now has her own betta tank.

You have to get past the "babe look at this" and "check this out" of the tanks.

Also, house work before tanks*

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's gotta be in your blood! It's something we are passionate about, that's why we love doing what we do! Just wish I could make a living doing it then I would never work another day in my life cause I would be doing something I love. My wife is interested but mostly about the fish and the rest of my family when ever they come over are like wow that seems like a lot of work
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 01:21 AM
Planted Member

I recently was at the LFS with my wife, which is a pretty rare occurrence. I brought her over to the discus tanks to show her a nice specimen, and she saw the price on all the discus. "You pay that much for those fish!!!" she said.

Bad miscalculation on my part.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hahahahaha busted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode